CJ rear bars

I have been told that CJs only have a front sway bar, and not a rear one. Does this mean that you can get full articulation on the rear wheels anytime, without having to install any kind of quick disconnect system or do anything else at all?

Also, I'm not sure exaclty what the difference is between a "track" bar and a "sway" bar - or maybe they are the same thing - but if not, does a CJ rear lack a "track" bar also, or are quick disconnects for that something that should be considered?

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

A track bar prevents lateral (side to side) shifting of the axle, especially during turns. A track bar is usually attached to one side of the axle and crosses directly across and is attached to the opposite side of the vehicle frame. This allows the axle to move up and down and articulate without shifting appreciably from side to side.

A sway bar resists body roll by the twisting of the bar when the body tries to roll during a turn.

I can't speak for what CJs came with, but I know that often leaf spring vehicles don't have track bars because the leafs provide sufficient resistance to lateral shift. CJs, however, if I remember correctly have narrower (2") springs than YJs (2 1/2"), and therefore, might have needed track bars.

If you don't have a sway bar in the rear, then, yes, you have full rear articulation available. You would still need disconnects in the front, though, when you are off road.

Reply to
TJim

The CJ7 has a front anti sway bar only.

A track bar is used on vehicles with coil springs or soft leaf springs like a YJ has to keep the axle centered under the vehicle. It goes from the axle to the frame.

The CJ's have stiff springs and don't need a track bar or a rear anti sway bar.

Mike

Joshua Nels>

Reply to
Mike Romain

CJs do not have rear track bars or rear sway bars. This is a large part of why they roll over during sudden manuvers. They didn't get front sway bars until '76. With a lift kit, the springs are generally stiffer and the sway bars can come off permantly. This is a decision that each vehicle operator should come to on his own, but many of us have removed the sway bar from our CJs.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks, Jeff. Being a fairly recent inductee into the world of Jeeps (98), my knowledge of earlier models' details isn't what it should be. :) I appreciate the info.

Reply to
TJim

Thanks. This explains why I have had a hard time finding a rear sway bar quick-disconnect kit. :-)

Just out of curiosity: I know that disconnecting a sway bar on a vehicle that has one improves articulation. Does removing a track bar do anything to enhance your off-road prowess, or should it just be left alone (assuming you have one in the first place)?

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

For a good overall review of short wheelbase Jeeps and their basic specs get a copy of Moses Ludel's Jeep Owners Bible. He rants a bit but it contains useful info.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

On YJs removing the bars is ok on lifted rigs with good shocks, replacement shackles and firmer bushings. It will definitively change the handling of the vehicle and you need to get used to it gradually. It's not something I'd recommend for everyone.

RE ditches the rear bar entirely on their 4.5" kit. Most of the YJ lift kits out there have rather poor adapters for the front track bar. These loosen and allow the axle to shift slightly under turning loads. Some folks just weld the brackets in place. Also, rear track bars on lifted rigs often tear the upper mount off the frame. The track bar does inhibit flex and you'll notice most well setup trail rigs don't have the track bars or sway bars installed. However, these generally aren't daily drivers.

Track bars on TJs, XJs, ZJs and WJs are integral to the suspension geometry. They act as the lateral locating device for the whole magilla and can't be removed. "Triangulated" or four-link custom off road suspensions secure the axles laterally via upper links that attach to the differential housings and in most cases these custom suspensions eliminate the track bar.

Sway bars act as a sort of torsion bar to reduce body roll. They link the body with the suspension. While they sharpen up on road handling, they definitely reduce flex. They can also cause the vehicle to pitch side to side abruptly.

All these bars got attached to CJs & then YJs in order to reduce the tendency of these vehicles to roll over on the highway. Jeep also widened the track of the CJ7 in the early 80s for the same reasons. A former business associate of mine was General Sales Manager for AMC during that period and told me once how AMC management came to the decision to strap down the YJs suspension to reduce product liability suits. He also told me they intentionally reduced the YJs wheelhouse clearance to inhibit the ability to install larger tires & wheels. You may notice YJ axles are even wider and use a front wheel drive type rim offset. That was another move to give the vehicle more "car like" handling.

The result of all these design changes was a dramatic reduction in highway roll overs. On the other hand, YJs in stock form never had the reputation for off road prowess the CJs enjoyed. All this stuff is easily undone to improve flex, but one does so at the expense of the YJs taut handling.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge