cj frame repair

There are 6 bolts that hold the skid plate / tranny onto the frame of a CJ. Well mine only has 4 with good threads, the other two have just enough thread bite to hold in the bolt, any more than that and they just twist. What is the best method to repair this? I hate helicoils, and if I drill our that nut inside the frame it may not work anyways? Any other repair ideas?

Reply to
Rusted

Clap Trap

Rusted ( snipped-for-privacy@please.com) wrote on Tuesday 26 April 2005 02:46 pm:

Re-tap it to the next size up (is it 7/16"?). I did that to one of mine. I was able to torque it with no problem. You'll probably have to take a die-grinder to enlarge the hole in the skid plate, though.

Reply to
Michael White

Reply to
popeyeball

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Rivnut is a brand name (kinda like kleenex) of a type of blind fastener.

A friend at a local sh> Excuse my ignorance but??? What's a Rivnut?

Reply to
Clap Trap

Are rivnuts strong enough to take that kind of abuse? They are defiantly better than what I have now, but what kind of torque can they take?

Other feedback I have seen, and the order I think I will try them in:

1 - drill it to a larger size, re-tap it, insert bolt 2 - weld on a 2" wide piece of thick strapping. Then drill and tap that where needed 3 - rivnuts (unless I can be sold on their strength)

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
Clap Trap

Mine were the same, 4 ok and 2 shot, I just took the next size up tap and ran it through, then like sized bolt, took and chance on it not spinning the nut off, guess I would of lost a tap in the frame if it did, but worked fine for me.

Reply to
Greg

Follow up-

I tapped it one size larger. the drill was easy since most of the threads were gone already. Ran a tap through, and I was done with both of them in

10 minutes. Looks like there is still plenty of meat left on bolt that is inside the frame, so I am good to go. Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
Rusted