CJ7 Frame question

Well, I went and looked at a 78 CJ7 for sale today and unfortunately the frame isn't so good in the back end. The rest of the Jeep is pretty
decent, but I have a feeling that finding a good frame around here (Norther WI or Upper MI) is going to be tough.
This Jeep has a fiberglass tub, the engine is a 304 rebuilt with 25k miles on it, paint is ugly, it has a hardtop that looks to be in OK shape, brakes need to be done, interior is average for a 78. The owner says the 93k miles on it are the original miles and the title verifies it.
Anyway, how hard is it to find a decent frame for these things? The frame isn't totally gone or full of holes, but it has seen better days, and I don't know if repairing it is the way to go. I would rather stick a nice solid frame underneath his thing if I buy it, than to patch the thing up obviously.
Honestly, I am kind of shying away from this thing because of the frame, but other than that it seems that it wouldn't be a bad project. I have the capability to do the frame swap, but I don't want to buy it and then not be able to get a frame for it.
Any ideas or comments?
Chris
http://www.trailquest.com/body-parts/frames/index.shtml God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /

c wrote:

You can still buy CJ frames.
Here is one place that sells them: http://www.rigidsteel.com/y226pC3tIGk0.html
You are right about being leery of a rotted one. When the tails are gone, the rest has crystallized and will start cracking every time you go off road. My local shop laughs about me needing a welding truck following me.... I only cracked it (the frame) in 3 places this time when camping for 10 days last week way back in the Canadian Bush.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
Mike Romain wrote:

Thanks Mike. I did find a few companies that make aftermarket frames like that. Some are mandrel bent rectangular, and some are fabricated like the ones on the site you gave me.
I'm still contemplating this. I really probably shouldn't buy a Jeep right now since I am planning on moving overseas soon, but those plans aren't set in stone yet as far as a timeline. My common sense self says to wait until I move unless I find something that doesn't need a lot of work and is a good deal price wise.
If I decide against buying this Jeep, and anyone is interested, I will shoot some pics and get the phone number for you. It is located in northern WI about an hour north of Green Bay.
Chris