CJ7 Oil Guage won't work - HELP

My '86 Jeep CJ7 with a 258 CI and 4 Spd manual runs fine, sounds good but it gives me a fit because I cannot seem to get the oil guage to work. I have replaced both the sending unit and the guage and get no reading at all with the purple hooked up to the middle terminal, red to the positive and black to the negative. If I momentarilay swap the red and black, I get the needle to peg at full reading so I have current there. What could it be and what is the fix?? Anyone?? Thanks, in advance for any ideas you may have. Dan

Reply to
Dan Grulke

L.W.(ßill)

Umm, purple wire?

Are you sure you have the solid purple one and not the one with a stripe? The purple one with the stripe is from the back of the engine head and is the temp sender.

Did you by chance insulate the sender with teflon tape so it has no ground?

Is the ground from the engine head to the firewall hooked up?

Mike

Dan Grulke wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain