Clunk,clunk in CJ 4 lo?

Was out in my 81 CJ yesterday, all was fine on the road, all was fine on the gravel road, went down a very steep switch back road to a lake,1st gear

4 lo, idled down, all was fine, coming back up I started noticing a clunk, clunk, clunk, about a second apart, one of those noises you have to listen/feel for, only happened on heavy load, when I came to a flat spot it went away, another steep part and back it came. Anyway I continued up the trail the other way from logging road to see were it went, also trying to find out about clunk. Only under heavy load, seems to be only in 1st lo, but on these roads I may not be able to hear it or get it under enough load in 2nd, also tried 2 wheel drive under load, not there, also tried 4 hi, but like 2nd lo pretty hard to tell or get it under enough load without going too fast for road. Coming back down that trail in lo, 1st, I could hear/feel it again, so something happened in the 10 minutes of going down one trail, turning around and coming back up. All was fine again coming home, on logging road and paved, so it sort of sounds like it's down to front driveshaft, or is there a gear, ( dana 300 ) that is only turning in 4 lo that maybe lost a tooth? Too dark when I got home to look at front driveshaft, hopping it's just a U-joint, but thought I would run it through news group too. Greg
Reply to
Greg

Ok never mind, I climbed under and rattled front driveshaft, so that answers that question. Funny a freind just bought a YJ last month, I climbed under and saw his front drive shaft U joint with no caps left, so helped him replace them, then my daughter comes home and said her tranny is making a humming noise, I climbed under and saw no caps left in her driveshaft, this was a 1 year old D. cardon, supposedly sealed universals, no grease fitting, anyway it must be that time of year or something.

Reply to
Greg

Glad you found the problem but while you're under there check your tranny mount. After 25 years of heat and leaked oil it is probably ready to come apart. The first thing I thought of when you described the noise was that your mount had broken loose and allowed the tranny tail to slide over enough to allow the rear U-joint in the front shaft to hit the tranny tunnel.

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Don't you just 'love' those POS 'lifetime' sealed u-joints?

When I am in full wheeling mode, I only get about 8 months out of them, maybe a year. I went back to the cheaper greaseable ones. No more issues.

Canadian Tire took all 7 that I could find receipts for back.

Mike

Mike Romain

Not many parts left on my CJ that haven't been changed, including tranny and mounts, but thanks anyway, glad it was Ujoint and not t case.

Reply to
Greg

Last time I bought them was for my back ones, Can tire had greasable for $20.00 or non greasable for $25.00, figured I'd splurge and buy the non. Daughter just got a job at a local parts store, greasable is $15.00 my cost, so I'll buy them there, get 3 for less then 2 at can tire, have one for spare, since I just put my last spare in her jeep.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III