Clutch?

I need to replace the clutch in my TJ. Any recommendations for good aftermarket brands? I need something strong that will hold up for another 8-9 years! Thanks.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Would I notice more noise in there? lol.

Explain about "lack of dampener springs" please.

I dont know how clutches work, just that mine has been slipping, hot, smelly, and it doesnt engage near the top of the pedal anymore. Most of this was when snow wheeling or on hill climbs in the last couple of months. I am actually suprised I have not had troubles with it sooner. I need to replace it prior to doing much crawling this spring.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Bill,

When I was younger I had the dampener springs fall out of the clutch on my Valiant, so I welded the center together. I drove it like that for a long time too. I agree, "remanufactured or new stock disk and pressure plate" for this application, especially if the first set lasted 8-9 years. Remember that there are exactly two clutch pedal positions, up and down.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Will you guys forgive me for another lecture?

Given that you stated that it is slipping, there is only ONE way to repair it correctly. You will need to replace the Clutch Disc, Clutch Cover (pressure plate), Carrier Bearing Assembly (throw out bearing) and the most often neglected part, the FLYWHEEL itself.

You can "cheap out" and get the flywheel resurfaced, it may work for a while. However, the days of big heavy hunks of steel for flywheels are over. The "fuel efficient" gurus have mandated light weight, and that precludes durability. Another thing to watch for is the beloved "Made in China" label. Most folks don't know, but ZOOM performance clutches are made in China!

If you plan on keeping the Jeep for a long time, the only true fix is spend what it takes to purchase ALL of the above listed parts from Jeep and be finished for good. I have seen too many "re-dos" caused by partial fixes.

Good Luck, Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry

Seeing as the original lasted 'you' this long, I would recommend replacing it with OEM.

I tried an aftermarket clutch in my CJ7 and killed it in 13 months. You know, one month after the warranty ran out....

I then went back to my 'original' 1986 Borg Warner pressure plate and the new clutch disk and it is running strong still.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I need to replace the clutch in my TJ. Any recommendations for good
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

which one? they make 3 different ones...

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Jenn,

You will more than likely want the Centerforce 2. The dual friction is more of a performance "street/strip" clutch. I would recommend calling them to verify.

Chris