Clutch??

I noticed over a month ago that everytime I put any pressure on the clutch that it would roar (03 TJ)...I had the dealer listen to it but Murphy's law wouldn't allow the mechanic to hear anything...then in the middle of last week the clutch would start screaming everytime I touched it...it was pretty obvious that the clutch throw out bearing was gone...I was then in the woods yesterday and lost the clutch all together...the only way to change gears at all was with the engine off and start it in second without a clutch was not easy..if ya ever tried to start a manual vehicle without clutch you know what I mean.... what happened?? when the throw out bearing goes will it screw the clutch assembly??

-- Jeff '03 TJ & '95 ZJ

Reply to
Jeff

My throw out bearing has been howling just as you described for a year now, it is about to get replaced. The sound sounds like a bad bearing, the way yours has locked now sounds like something different unless that bearing has froze tight somehow. My guess is that there is more than a bearing going bad.

Reply to
Rusted

Jeff ( snipped-for-privacy@av.easlink.ca) wrote on Monday 11 April 2005 06:46 am:

Jeff,

Sounds like something else went. Could be something as simple as loosing your clutch fluid or a clutch cylinder. Or your clutch fork may have busted. Since you were going to have to pull it apart anyway to replace the throw out bearing, this probably won't be a huge additional cost.

Reply to
Michael White

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III