Clutch noise??

Have a 00 TJ 4.0L, since i got it a few months ago whenever i let the clutch on idle i hear a ratling or grinding sound, but when i push the clutch in in is quite, i was told it may be the clutch throw out baring, does this sound right? and if so will my warranty cover it...thanks all

Reply to
Mike T

David C. Moller

What about for a 99 TJ (2.5L)?? Mine just recently started, and only happens every once in a while. Usually when the tranny is nice and hot.

Eric

99 TJ SE A/C... I have A/C!!
Reply to
Eric

Hmmmmm no, not a known issue that I'm aware of. The transmission change from the AX15 to the NV3550 happened after '99 (I have a '99, too), so I would think yours is a different problem. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on that one.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

This sounds like a typical "throw out" bearing noise when they get loose. It should be under your warranty if you still have warranty. They should not go bad within the warranty period.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I'm pretty sure TJs with the 2.5L still have the AX-5 , at least up to

2002, not sure about '03. In your case it probably is the throwout bearing. How many miles?

Reply to
jdarg

For what it's worth my '03 has done it since the test drive - so did others on the lot. It's likely normal gear noise.

Reply to
jdarg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I just had my 03 at the shop for this exact problem. I have 13000 kms on it and I was told its a normal sound they all make it at some time or another. I told them its an embarrassing noise and that the GM dealership in my town looked at my pick up that had a similar problem and fixed it by replacing the throw out bearing with a aftermarket grease able nipple. Not a noise since.

Reply to
Shawn

My 94 YJ has 190K on the clock and still has the original bearing and clutch. No noise. It must be the leaf springs. :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

I just took a bunch of road trips and rolled over 36k.

Reply to
Eric