Constant dealer repair problems

Last year, I took my 99 GC Limited to a local Jeep dealer to fix a problem with leaking gear oil. They did some work on the differential (replaced gasket, etc.), and one day after I brought it home, it was leaking even worse. Took it back, they claimed to fix it this time, and I took it home. Two days later, the leaks were back. Took it back one last time, and they apparently fixed the leak for real.

Recently, the same vehicle was overheating, so I took it to the same dealer. It also needed an alignment. (There are no other dealers in this area -- the next closest is at least a 45-minute drive, and I have yet to find a decent non-dealer mechanic.) They found the problem

-- broken thermometer, which caused the fan not to come on. Fixed it, and did the alignment. Four days later, coolant was leaking everywhere. Took it back, and they said the water pump needed replaced. Why didn't they see this the first time? They replaced it. Now, the Jeep is leaking coolant again, and there's a terrible grinding noise emitting from the left front region (could this be related to their alignment?).

Obviously I don't want to take it back to them again to screw something else up, but I feel that after $500+ in the past two weeks, they owe me a properly repaired vehicle. Should I take it back or take it elsewhere?

Reply to
Tom

Take it back to the dealer, and let them make it right. I am one of those dealer techs, and I would prefer to know when I miss something or break something, and always appreciate an owner that is understanding enough to bring it back to me to allow me to make it right. We are human, and we learn from our mistakes.

I take to heart your comment about not finding a decent mechanic elsewhere. Don't automatically assume that the dealership has the best and brightest, we get our share of shadetree types, too. We just have to weed them out. Perhaps your dealer needs to do some "weeding."

Jerry

Reply to
belowme