Coolant suprise

Less than 44% offers almost no corrosion and cavatation protection.

Reply to
billy ray

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

There aren't any 'new compounds' to speak of for Jeeps; HOAT's (G-05), are still using the same old silicated, ethlyene glycol stuff that's been around for 50 years, but with a new, exciting dye color, lower silicate levels, some benzoate, and without the phosphates; maybe even some fragrance added to further excite the senses of buyers who don't know dog poop from diamonds. G-05 is chemically similar to the old green stuff, just some noodling with the recipe portions is all. This stuff isn't any more EPA/ERA/NRA..whatever friendly than it's ever been.

Ignore the wild claims and BS on window stickers, and you'll do just fine.

Reply to
Outatime

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Will Honea

Yep but it's only got 40K on the ticker....

Matt Macchiarolo

Hoses and belts age.... it isn't just mileage..

billy ray

So how close is this to the no name stuff on the end aisle display at WalMart? Used to be, that was the same as the green stuff. There is a pretty good chance it is the same as the new stuff now, ¿no?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That's why I am changing them out...

Matt Macchiarolo

Really? Now, that's progress, and I'm all for it.

Reply to
Outatime

If I had to place a bet on this one, I'd say the stuff on the end of Wally World's aisle is mule piss.

Worse, it's probably collected and bottled in 3rd world contries by kids working for a nickel an hour.

Reply to
Outatime

I haven't been back yet, but I looked at some a couple weeks ago and the main ingredient is ethylene glycol, plus the usual suspects, diethylene glycol and some other junk. I gather the "other junk" is what I am interested in. I don't remember seeing mule piss on the label, but I'll take another look and post it here if I figure anything out. Third world kids have to eat too.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Heh, it's ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate, and sodium neodecanoate. I seem to remember from organic chemistry that "-oate" is probably an organic acid or buffer, but as Bill and Simon can tell you, things get blurry with advancing age. This is the "Super TECH, made for Walmart" stuff, or the current incarnation thereof, lowest price in the store. Two or three guys picked up a gallon each while I was writing down the ingredients.

No mention of mule piss or sweat shops on the container. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

drunk diabetic monkey piss. ;-)

Earle Hort> >

Reply to
nrs

I'm surprised, given truth-in-advertising laws and all.

If looking for an HOAT for Jeeps, clues include Benzoate (the OAT portion), sebacate and borate (the inhibitors), and the ever-popular absence of silicates and phosphates.

Incidentally, presense of 2-EHA (sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate) in the coolant you've examined means you're looking at Dex-cool. If you put this in a Jeep, I don't want to hear you whining like a spoiled 3-yr. old later when you have to replace the entire cooling system.

Reply to
Outatime

That's interesting, because the stuff is dyed yellow, and "compatible with all coolants". Guess I won't buy it. Sounds like I want the Zerex stuff, or the green formulation if they have it. I was thinking of changing the coolant in the Suburban. The last time it was done I used the green stuff, but I am running out now. The last time I bought antifreeze, except for "Honda Genuine Coolant" was 1999. I got a drum of the green stuff and a couple cases besides from Walmart. Good stuff too.

Thanks.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

...The issue with universal coolants is that a single formula cannot meet the conflicting OEM specifications for IAT, OAT and HOAT coolants. If a universal coolant contains silicates, it does not meet the OEM OAT specification. If it contains no silicates, it can't meet the OEM HOAT specification. And if it contains phosphates or inorganic acid technology ingredients, it can't meet the OEM OAT or HOAT specifications. Consequently, some antifreeze suppliers argue there is no such thing as a universal coolant because one formula cannot meet all the conflicting OEM specifications. This means distributors must offer three different coolants to meet the IAT, OAT and HOAT specifications - otherwise the coolant may not satisfy the OEM warranty requirements. That's why the safest recommendation is to use the type of coolant specified by the vehicle manufacturer....

FWIW: Valvoline makes all three formulas IAT (Green), OAT (DexCool), and HOAT (G-05)

Reply to
billy ray

This is like Catch-22. I am not so worried about meeting the OEM warranty requirements for a 1989 Suburban and a 1995 Wrangler. I don't think that I will be putting in warranty claims any time soon. In both cases the coolant specified by the vehicle manufacturer appears to be IAT, like it says in the owner's manual, ¿no?

It appears that the reason for the new coolants, is that the manufacturers decided to start building engine components out of pot metal. :o( Even the Honda Civic that I have used IAT from the factory. Now they have a propietary formula too.

Heh, Outatime says that the universal stuff that I looked at in Walmart is the same as Dexcool.

Earle

Consequently,

recommendation

Earle Horton

You can use Dex-Cool or the Prestone Original in the Surburban with no problems. GM has used Dex for a long time now, and it's OEM spec.

Ford and Chrysler can't use Dex because 2-EHA is a plasticizer that softens their gasket material and radiator seals, eventually causing leaks and failure.

I have a great PDF tech article that explains all of this; if you're interested, give me an @address and I'll shoot it over to you. I don't know where I got it, but it's worthy of any automotive archive.

Reply to
Outatime

earlehortonATmsnDOTcom

Hope the spam bots don't figure it out. I have enough already.

Thanks!

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton