Farewell All

Wow, I can't believe it's been 4 years already! My TJ lost her DD-ability and I've moved on to something a bit nicer. I'd post pics, but you all know what would happen (sky falling, etc.)!

I got an '06 Dakota with all the goodies, including 4wd. Very impressed. I drove all the small 4-door trucks (except for Tacoma -- nice, but overpriced). This was a close tie with the Nissan Frontier. In the end, this was $2k cheaper and had more comfortable seating.

Thanks to everyone for all of their help over the last few years. You've been a great bunch. I'm sure I'll see you on the trails someday -- I'm not done with wheeling, just taking a break until I can build a trail rig that doesn't have to double as a daily driver.

- Eric

Reply to
Eric

Congrats on the new truck. Hope it treats you as good as a Jeep!

Carl

Reply to
Carl

The Dakota is a nice truck, I've been tempted by the Durango after having it as a rental.

a great bunch. I'm sure I'll see you on the trails

You will be back, it's a Jeep thing and there is no cure.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

GAK!

Real trucks have king pins!

(yes, my Studebaker pickup has king pins)

Jeff DeWitt

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Most of us post photos over on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4. That way we will know who to watch for on the trails...

Mike

Mike Romain

Look on the bright side...when your Dodge gets old and its time for a new one....you won't have to spend time in good-byes to your old club (b/c there is none). Just giving you a hard time for switching to the "dark side."

Another note about the "not-dark-side;" I can think of few car manufacturers, makes, or models where the 1988 I am driving is still considered cool! I guess when you buy something it should be iconic, mustang, GTO, and the Wrangler.

Thoughts,

Adam

Reply to
adam

I've been tempted to turn to the Dark Side here lately myself. I've looked at F-150's, Tacoma's, Durango's, Silverados, --name it, I've test-driven it.

They're all comfortable, ride smoother than a lady's bottom, get OK mileage, have more power and a LOT more towing capacity than my lowly TJL.

And still, I commute and wheel in my beloved Jeep. I can't explain the connection, yet it exists. It is as though it was built specifically for me, and no one else, and that like a comfortable marriage, we both seem to fit each other perfectly.

It still bounces the crap out of me when I hit a 1" pothole, hums curiously when I hit the throttle, and sometimes grinds a bit when I grab 2nd. Yeah, there's just SOMETHING about a Jeep, ya know?

Congrats on your new ride. Enjoy, and think fondly of your old Jeep.

You'll be back. Eventually.

Reply to
Outatime

Thanks all, and you're all right -- there's nothing quite like a Jeep or the lifestyle that goes with it. I will be back some day, but next time it will be my 2nd vehicle -- not my primary!

Reply to
Eric