Crime doesn't pay - especially with Jeepers

Here is a great story from the Washington Metro area. Thought you all might like it.

mpv

Reply to
Michael Vincenty
403 error, access denied.
Reply to
Dave Milne

Dave Milne did pass the time by typing:

Should be on my site shortly.

it before the bandwidth allowance hits. :)

Reply to
DougW

in progress, thanks !

Dave Milne

How about a text version? or a file size? I'm not spending a half hour downloading an .avi of unknown size and content on a slow connection.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Paul Calman did pass the time by typing:

6.41M

It's basically about a Jeeper (Chris) in the Fairfax City (VA) area who had stuff (winch, spare) stolen and not only reported it to the police but also to the Northern Virginia Jeepers Association. About 24+ folks from NVJA and another VA area club searched the net and found the stuff being sold on (looks like eBay from the video) with pictures of Chris's Jeep. An arrest was made about 12 hours after the theft and Chris has his stuff back. 18 year old Andrew Dodson? will be charged with grand larceny. A possible sentence of one year $2,500.

Reply to
DougW

Great story, thanks for sharing it. No problems with the link...

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

Thanks Doug. We don't have highspeed internet here, unless you pay big for satellite service. 28Kbps is about it. Good collar for those guys, They should send the bastard to conservation camp to make firebreaks, and clean up trails.

Reply to
Paul Calman

That would be about an hour for download.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Paul Calman did pass the time by typing:

Yep. I remember dialup. I also remember downloading files that took over 12 hours just to loose the last little bit and have to start over again. Too bad you can't get at least 33.6 or 52K. Most towns have newer telco switches.

Food for thought. If you have old wiring you might get better results by running a new telco line for your modem directly to where the feed comes in and making sure all connections are clean and tight. Did that here and it cleared up a lot of problems. CAT-3 cable is all you need and it's fairly cheap.

Reply to
DougW

nice to know the bastard got his come-uppance. Cheers, Doug !

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And sue the victim for psychological trauma.

Reply to
Jay Stuler

...and win.

Reply to