Dana 20 Rebuild

Just wondering if anyone has ever rebuilt a Dana 20 transfer case. I lost 4 low and have narrowed it down to the transfer case. All looks good in 4 high but the front wheels don't engage in 4 low. I've also manually worked the linkage so I know it's not that. A couple of wheeling trips ago I heard a loud clunk in the TC so I think that's when it went south. After that happened I put it in 2 wheel drive and went home. I was leaving the trail when it happened and didn't think anything bad happened. The next trip out I figured out what went broke when I needed 4 low.

Should I attempt the rebuild myself? I'm an above average shade tree mechanic but have never done anything with drive line except replace a clutch. Where should I get the rebuild kit and about what do y'all think it will cost me?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Casey Teague

Casey Teague

I've never rebuilt a D-20 but I have done a D-18 and it's really a piece of cake. Try Novak's for a good rebuild kit.

Bill Beyer