may have broken transfer case

Ug. I changed the front and rear diff fluid today and also the tranny fluid and transfer case fluid. Figured it was a good time to go get muddy. I locked my front hubs while still at home and then drove to the trails a few miles away. As I entered them I figured I'd leave it in 2WD until I needed 4WD. Well, I immediately got into the middle of a pretty big puddle and got stuck. Like an *idiot* I hit 4-LOW while the engine was still revving kinda high... It crunched but went into

4-LOW. I started trying to get out of the puddle but noticed neither of my front tires were spinning. I double checked and both of my hubs were locked and I was in 4-LOW, but no power to the front wheels. I used my winch to get out and went straight home. Gonna let the mud dry and let myself cool off before taking a look, but I'm afraid of what I'll find. :-(

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:25:29 -0500, travis shared the following:

Yay! Yes, I'm an idiot, but not for breaking the transfer case. I just put the Jeep up on jackstands and then put it into 4-LOW and very slowly, carefully let the clutch out. Got out and looked and only one back tire was turning. Looked at the front output shaft on the transfer case and it wasn't turning. Not good. So I thought about it and realized that I hadn't actually tested the 4WD stuff out since putting the lift on... So I removed the transfer case shifter boot and could see that there was still about an inch more of travel that the shifter could make as long as the boot wasn't in place. I shoved it back that extra inch and *clunk* it dropped all the way into 4-LOW and immediately the front driver's side tire started spinning (as soon as I let the clutch out, that is). So basically I need to do some work on the shifter for the transfer case to get it to where it can engage all of the gears. I can handle that. :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

That's what I thought when I read your first post. Good for you. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

What have you been into today Bill? ;-)

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

About a pint or two? ;-)

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:41:28 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

Well...when I changed the fluids in the diffs I had to loosen the covers to drain them and then refilled them from the fill plugs until the fluid just started to weep back out of the fill plugs. On the t-case and the transmission I found drain plugs. I drained both of them using their drain plugs and refilled both of them using their fill plugs, just to the point where they started to weep out the fluid also. I used 75W-90 and 80W-90 oils as specified in my Haynes manual. I noticed that the fluid capacities specified in the Haynes manual appeared to be correct, since at just about the time I was putting in X amount of fluid into Y component, it began to weep the fluid out of the fill hole. I think I'll be ok and that I do not need to add any fluid. If I tried then it would leak back out of the fill plug, or at least some of it would until I could put the plug into place. I _think_ if you're racing the fluid to plug up the hole before it can drip back out, that you're overfilling.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Are you saying they share a fluid system?

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Say, did you ever change out the boots? As I recall someone had stuffed non-standard boots on your CJ. If you find that you need the metal plates that go on top of the boots (to keep the screws from pulling through) I should have a spare that _might_ be in good shape. Let me know if you need it and I'll rummage through the "spare parts" heap in the corner of the garage.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Didn't we do this subject, oh, a week or two ago?

--=20 "doing whatever it took to capture world marketing shares, even as far as having multiple satellites circling the globe to ensure complete coverage and maximum profit potential."

Tealady spills the beans on AFU's new business plan.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Yes and as far as I have ever seen or as far as my Jeep book says, the tranny and t-case are separate entities, they don't share anything.

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Yep, I did the exact same thing. Didn't realize until after taking the transfer case out twice that the shifter was hitting the tub. Oh well, I reseal the tc while I had it out so it wasn't a total waste of time. I used a friends plasma cutter and cut the shifter, bent it forward, then welded the seam that I cut. It works perfectly now. At least you caught it before you removed the tc. I felt pretty stupid for doing that.

Reply to
Casey Teague