Dana 30 gear noise

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If the yokes differed in the thickness of the splined part, how would that affect things? Would using a new crush sleeve solve such a problme?

The pinion nut only turned 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn when going from 160 to 250+ ft-lbs, I don't know if that is significant.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand
1/8 of a turn is a significant amount.

Are you using an old crush sleeve????????????

Mike

Peter P>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

His nut is still turning so I wouldn't suspect a bottom yet.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes, I've been trying to use the old crush sleeve.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

It's about fifteen miles to the city, would I be doing serious harm to the gears driving it there like it is now? Would removing the front drive shaft be necessary? Would driving without a front drive shaft harm the viscous coupling in the transfer case (NP249)?

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Try a large truck or bus garage.

Reply to
Bill Brabender

Oh man, I don't know what to tell you. A howler can disintegrate fast, real fast.

You can drive it without axles as long as the stubs are in there to hold the wheel bearings together. Just pop the outer u-joints. If you have CV's, well....

Maybe rent a two wheel dolly and bring it in that way?

As for the used crush sleeve, you need a new one for a new yoke unless you are really lucky. The old sleeve could be compressed too much already like Bill was alluding to.

Mike

Peter P>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Howling when that tight kinda implies worn out bearings eh?

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

They recommend a new crush sleeve every time, although intuitively it shouldn't matter, unless the old sleeve has been crushed too much. If that were the case, your pinion shaft would be real hard to turn now.

That torque wrench extender that Jeff recommended can be purchased at Sears. The math isn't so bad. ('Course I have a Physics degree.)

In my experience, once a gear set makes noise, that is the end of it. But I did get lucky that one time in Ohio. That may be because I had three small kids with me and hardly any money, and I hadn't offended any gods yet.

I really recommend a dial type torque wrench to measure the pinion bearing preload.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

A large part of the problem nowadays is that garages no longer have mechanics, they rely on 'technicians'.

In my opinion an old fashioned mechanic that can tear anything mechanical apart and fix it in an unheated garage with none of the proper tools is better than a box full of technicians...

I'm going to hand

Reply to
Billy Ray

We called them "gravel-back" mechanics, although I've learned and now carry a large cardboard box folded flat in the back.

Reply to
jeff

The bearings are not worn out. My TJ was the donor of the axle, and it was just fine when I removed it.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Will that yoke physically fit then?

Mike

Peter P>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Which yoke are you referring to?

The axle had a normal u-joint style pinion yoke on it when it was under my TJ. The Grand Cherokee has a wacky front drive shaft with a weird CV joint at the front that need a different pinion yoke. When I slung the axle under the GC, the TJ pinion yoke was removed (actually that was done well before I started this particular axle swap) and I replaced it with the weird Grand Cherokee yoke. The pinion shaft diameter and spline count is identical on both axles, as is the seal. The depth of the splined part of both yokes appears to be the same too. I have no idea if there are actually any differenced inside of the seal.

I made an appointment with the Jeep dealer in the city who seemed to think resetting the pinion bearing preload because of a yoke change was no big deal. I just hope my test driving, and the drive to the dealer on Thursday, won't have ruined anything expensive to replace. I'll drive there at a speed wheere there's no noticeable noise, approximately 70 km/h seems to be good for that.

Regardless, I'm not willingly going back into the superheated garage for a while. Heck, I'm sitting in the basement as I type this and sweat is still dripping on my glasses. Why does global warming only affect summertime temperatures up here in Canada anyway?

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Tell me about it, I am trying to convince my wife I would be better off medically if I was sitting at the side of the lake up north of you on the trail we run where I can jump in to keep cool. Don't need to be back until next Wednesday....

And yes, that was the yoke I was thinking about.

Mike

Peter P>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wouldn't you be better off, medically, if you were floating on a raft in the shade with a cool drink in hand to keep the weight off your back and you hydrated?

Reply to
Billy Ray