Dana 35 to Chrysler 8.25 for XJ swap questions

I think the clutches in my 96 XJ w/ Track Lok Dana 35 are going bad.

160,000 miles. (clunking/knocking and growning noises)

I have someone willing to sell me a Chrysler 8.25 from a 96 XJ w

Reply to
bman

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

You don't know for certain?

My existing drive shaft will work?

Reply to
bman

After it's been shortened. Easily done by any speed/machine shop. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

In 96 XJ's the typical axle options were a D35 with ABS and the ChryCo

8.25 w/o ABS. If you switch from ABS to non-ABS, there's more to it than just a straight axle swap. Check under your hood for the extra equipment to run the ABS system - if it's there, you can't just bolt in the 8.25. There are ABS removal write-ups on the 'net. Go to NAXJA.org and do a search. B
Reply to
Brian

If it's non-abs, should be a bolt in, assuming the gear ratios match. Be sure you get the e-brake cables.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Some of the local jeepers who have done this swap say that on a lifted jeep you will sometimes end up with driveshaft vibration because the

8.25 puts the pinion a little closer to the transfer case. Nothing too serious, just something to watch out for.
Reply to
nrs