Rear driveshaft play

I don't know if anyone remembers, but I posted a while back something about my XJ making popping noises as I approached a stop sign (faster to slower as speed decreased from 40mph or so down to 10 mph or so. It sounds like it is coming from the rear.

Since I'm finally back home, I decided to take a peek. First thing I did was change out the diff fluid as the morons who did it for me last year decided using proper amounts of RTV silicone was just a suggestion. It was all over the place and leaking a considerable amount of fluid. Looked around, and although I'm no gear expert, everything looked good in the diff (by the way, this is a 2000 XJ w/ Chrysler 8.25 w/trac-lock, selec-trac x-fer case, 2" shackle lift , and auto tranny). Got everything cleaned up, resealed, and filled up.

Now to track down the popping. Someone had suggested LCAs being loose. Since it's an XJ... leaf springs... no LCAs... sometimes I forget that after working on my TJ all the time. I found that there's 1/8 - 1/4" play in the driveshaft where it connects to the rear axle. I can grab the tires and move them a bit before the gears "clunk" and move the shaft. It's not the U-Joint, as far as I can tell. I thought this might be the source of my clunking. I put the axle up on jack stands and tried to get it to clunk while running and applying the brakes. No can do. The only clunk is when going from nuetral to drive or to reverse when the brakes are applied. Not a significant sound, but audible.

Thoughts? It only has 54k miles on it. Shouldn't be having all the problems it does. Thanks for the help!

Eric

00 XJ LTD
Reply to
Eric