XJ help

Thanks for reading. I've gotten great help from everyone before, and thought I'd go back to the well.. Girlfriend has a 98 XJ, 122000 miles. Couple of questions...

1)can anyone suggest a place to buy replacement lenses for her rear tail lights? Someone buster her left rear out the other night. 2)Upon hearing a funny, rpm coinciding noise, she took it to the dealer, and was told the pully on her power steering unit is going bad. Should this whole thing be replaced? Or is it a pully/bearing issue? 3)Sigh, the ac evaporator is DOA according to them. Will it be a big deal to let this sit untill next summer?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Gug

PS While at the Dealer, she was looking at Wrangler Xs...the dealer installed a

3" skyjack lift(i think that's the brand), 5 new American racing wheels, 5 goodyear 33" tires, and aluminum brush guard and side steps. Total dealer add-on price: 7500 dollars. Now, is it me, or is this high?
Reply to
gug

You can stop by here, $56

If the URL is broken, try this one....

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

If you don't fix the AC until next summer you might want to pull the plug or fuse for the AC compressor. That compressor comes on with the defroster and if there is no Freon in the system you could very well ruin the compressor ($$$).

Jeff DeWitt

gug wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It doesn't happen often but I've heard of the two halves of a pulley separating, many are spot welded and the welds will start breaking. When that happens the two halves of the pulley start pulling apart and the belt starts slipping.

Jeff DeWitt

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It happened to a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago. He noticed his generator was barley charging and after tightening the belt a couple of times realized there was something else wrong. He found the water pump pulley was separating ... of course this wasn't on a Jeep, it was a 1961 Studebaker Hawk, but it can happen to any pulley were the halves are spot welded together.

Jeff DeWitt

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

If your 98 is the R134 type ac system, its not a big deal. It can wait, just disconnect your compressor at the compressor electrical fitting. If its low on charge it may not even come on anyway. Often its just a seal at the evaporator. I have a hard time believing you need the whole evaporator changed. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Thanks everyone for their help. I'll be getting on it ASAP. I'll let you know what I learn.

Gug

Reply to
gug

Reply to
Will Honea

I had to replace the pulley on my ps pump about the same time as the damper pulley went - not related. That will be a serpentine belt on a

98 same as m> It's just that I haven't heard of it, I have heard of Chrysler's
Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 04:49:15 GMT, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Jeff DeWitt :

Unless there's a control problem the compressor shouldn't come on if the system pressure is low.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

A high school kid driving a Golden Hawk? If it's really a Golden and in good shape (there are lots of varieties of Hawks) it might be worth quite a bit of money. A REALLY nice Golden can go for well over $20k.

Do you know the kid, is he in the Studebaker club and does he know about the Studebaker newsgroup (alt.autos.studebaker)

Jeff DeWitt

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

course this

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

shape (there

REALLY nice Golden

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

shape (there

REALLY nice Golden

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:07:39 -0800, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by L.W.(ßill) Hughes III :

If there's zero pressure (actually, *ambient* pressure) it won't cycle. When filling an empty system the compressor will start to cycle when the pressure exceeds the pressure-cutoff switch setting.

Reply to
Bob Casanova