Deep water/fluid changing question

I will be going off road for the first time soon. I was told by someone that after you go through water deep enough to come up to (and over) the floor board you should change your fluids. He referenced the differentials. I am doing the routine oil change this weekend using full synthetic for the first time in my jeep (15,000 miles) if you go into water deep enough to submerse the oil pan do you also need to change the oil soon after? If so, would it just be wasteful to use full synthetic oil? Thanks for any advice/opinions

Reply to
56

You will need to 'check' the fluids after water crossings. It will froth up into a milkshake like stuff in the diffs and t-case if water gets in.

The tranny is a different story. Jeep in it's wisdumb only put a stoopid button vent on the tranny instead of a hight water hose vent like the diffs and t-case has so the tranny can easily fill up with water.

This happens all the time. I have seen a lot of folks have to change the tranny fluid out 'before' driving home too eh.

I pulled out the button vent and installed a chunk of steel gas line with some JB Weld onto the hole to make a nipple for a hose I ran up by the battery and terminated in an inverted U shape so it will air lock if I get in over the hood. I have managed 42" of water with no issues in my CJ7. This put a bow wave up over the hood.

You also need to chaeck your air intake! Some of them have a ram air scoop on the air filter that comes out right above the bumper. One wave over the bumper and gulp, you have a dead hydrolocked engine. In that case, you get pulled out and pull the spark plugs, the turn the key while praying you don't hear clank clank clank of a blown cylinder or two. Lots of folks I know have used ABS pipe to re-rout the air intake to the filter box up and backward.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I will be going off road for the first time soon. I was told by someone that
Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, Good information! I will take a look these areas before going out. I have looked at a couple of jeep books online, do you recommend any in particular? Btw my portable seat heater arrived yesterday :-) Thanks

Reply to
56

theres a lot of posters in this group that should change their fluids especially 24butt, pink fraud, and cujoke who need to get ennemas because their so full of it!

their the reas>I will be going off road for the first time soon. I was told by someone that

Reply to
Jeep America #1