Transmission Fluid Change Question

I have a '96 GC 4.0 w/167k on it. I was wondering how hard it is to change out the filter and fluid on this. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.....

Reply to
Ed Wojciechowski

Ed,

If you can change your own oil and filter you can change the tranny filter and fluid.

It does not require any special tools other than a pair of ramps, jack stands, or a handy retaining wall to lift the GC to a comfortable height to be crawling underneath..

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

If this is a concern change it twice. If what you drain the second time is reasonably clean, don't worry too much.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

From his post he sounds like he has limited experience. Putting a drain in the converter is probably past where he should be starting.

Earle's idea has merit but if that is planned then adding a pan drain is cheap and easy and he will not have to pull the pan a second time.

Don't forget the change the gear lube in the differentials while you are at it.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Heh. Wonder if there is a slang term for this.

With a creeper you could use a normal curb, or if you are skinnier than I am or have a lift, nothing at all.

billy ray proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

I haven't tried the curb, I prefer to be off the street when working on vehicles.

I find retaining walls very convenient.

billy ray