diagnostic codes

I was driving to work this morning and noticed the "check engine" light was on in my 03 Rubicon. It stayed on all day, and when I checked the error code, it was "p 0442". anyone have any idea what this code means? thanks for the help

- Charles D.

Reply to
cd

Are you still under warranty? Take it to the dealer. (the only thing you might check is gas cap present/tight... not that I'm familiar with your code)

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Jim is all over this one. That is a code for a small evaporative emissions leak, and is likely caused by a loose gas cap. Don't bother with the dealer until you have double checked the cap, then driven it for a few days to allow the test to run again and pass.

OBD2 codes like this have to run and pass three times consecutively to turn the light off, and evap codes usually only run once per cold start. It won't hurt to drive it. If you are impatient, clear the DTC's after checking the cap. I am assuming you have access to a scanner, if you know what the code is.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Nope, I don't have access to a scanner, but I did check the cap, and it was tight. The light has been on for about seven times I've driven it, all cold starts. If it doesn't go away by itself, I'll have it checked. Thanks for replies and info.

- Charles D.

Jerry Newt> Jim is all over this one. That is a code for a small evaporative emissions

Reply to
cd

You guys were right, it must have been the gas cap, although I loosened and retightened it several times after reading your posts, the light stayed on. But after I filled up the tank this morning, Voila! (pronounced "what the hell?" the light went out. Thanks - Charles D

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
cd

Reply to
mic canic

Or for sure you now need a new one because you just pried yours into pieces...

Mike

mic canic wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain