Diesel engines: better low-end torque?

Put your coat on.

Reply to
bllsht

That's pretty funny coming from a bunch of guys driving rigs that get 10-18 mpg !

I love my TJ, but "good for the planet", it isn't.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

I don't know about todays lighter high-performance diesels and longevity. But most of the taxi's around here used to be Mercedes diesels because of the long life of the engine 300k+ miles were not uncommon.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Baertschi

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Never owned a Daimler product, but if you'd like to buy me a Unimog, I might consider it. :P

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Many of the cabs in Las Vegas run on LP.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Perhaps when your air is a clean as it is in Europe you will have the right to be critical of the air quality in Germany, who run far more deisels that the US

Reply to
Pet Lover

Yup, they were all Mercedes. While Mercedes aims mostly at the high overseas they have versions of their cars with less equipment (at lower cost) at home. I distincly remember that they were leading the list of economic cars with some models (taking price/depreciation, servicing, consumption, etc. in account).

Today this is much less so as real values count less and fashion and trends drives the buying decisions of consumers.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Baertschi

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Diesels are actually cleaner because the total volume of pollutants are less, because less fuel is burned. The EU pollution standards are far more sensible than the US-49 state or California-because they aim to reduce total CO2 emissions and HC and Co turn into CO2 eventually anyway.

Propane or natural gas, really, are the cleanest fuels out there, and it's smart to make cabs run on it. But Diesel would be an improvement over gas.

In my area the most popular cab is a Lincoln Town Car. The fuel burn is high but cabbies like the reliability and the purchase price-they buy used ones cheap, often from old people's estates, or crash/corpse/flood cars, send them to Maaco, and run'em into the ground. Usually the converters are punched out.

Reply to
Ted Azito

No, the vast majority are converted Ford Crown Vics.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have family over there, tons of them..............2 aunts married GIs. I have been to Chicago 6 times, Boston 7 times, New York 3 times (but 1 time I was only 12 so maybe that doesn't count), Maine (Sebago Lake) 4 times, Daytona Beach 5 times, Key West 3 times (just got back 2 weeks ago). I also drove from Daytona Beach to Sebago Lake as my aunt wanted her car moving from one house to the other, so on that trip I also visited, Charleston, Philadephia, Washington DC, New Jersey, then through NY, Boston to Sebago (and obviously all the staes that came in between but didn't stop in). I have also been to Vermont, New Hampshire, Cape Cod and Nantucket (not sure about that spelling) Island, Niagra Falld from the US and Canadian side.

So tell me Bill.......did you manage to get off the airforce base much while you were in Germany?????

Reply to
Pet Lover

America is still the biggest polluter per head of population in the world, and that doesn't include the big chemical companies that have located themselves in under developed countries becuase they have no polution laws.

Reply to
Pet Lover

I'm speaking for Switzerland mostly, Matt and Ted aren't. Town cars and Ford Victoras are very rare species, here.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Baertschi