Low end torque of GT verses Mach 1

Ok, I know I've asked this question before, but I feel I still haven't gotten enough info on the subject. It would really be interesting to see a torque curve chart for both a STOCK Stang GT and Mach 1 to compare. Again, anyone who has driven both a GT and a Mach 1, how would you compare the throttle response and torque BELOW 3,000 rpm?

I am enjoying my new GT, but the lack of low-end torque is giving me the blues... I am thinking that maybe late next year I would try to score a left-over 2004 Mach 1 and trade in or sell the GT. BUT, I am starting to wonder how much better the MAch 1 is in terms of low end. Maybe it's not much better.....??? I know the Mach 1 can smoke the GT at upper rpms, but I am not as concerned about that. Of course there's always the new G.T.O. which I'm sure has more than enough low-end torque with that huge 350, but... I've really grown to love the Stang now, I'd prefer to stay with a Stang if possible. Ironically I've always been a GM man, my `03 GT is the first Ford I've ever owned, but I really love the car... just needs some more power. I've considered doing some mods, maybe a blower, etc, but... with the amount of spare time I have these days, I might be better off just trading up for another car ready to go.

Any info on the GT verses Mach 1 in terms of low end performance (below

3,000 rpm) would be appreciated.
Reply to
GT-Vert-03

Michael Johnson, PE

Actually, it's a 346 or 347 (can't remember which, but I'm sure it's not a

350). 4.10s will wake the GT up (and the Mach 1 for that matter). A twin screw blower will do wonders too.
Reply to
Keith

The torque curve of the 2V 4.6 is almost exactly the same as the 5.0 only about 1000 rpm's higher. IIRC, the Mach 4v 4.6 torque has a similar torque curve only about 50 lb.ft. higher. The Mach has a 3.55 rear compared to the

3.27 in the GT which also helps in the acceleration department. Isn't your GT an auto? If it is, then that is your biggest problem. A slushy auto and converter in a heavy convertible is not going to get you the acceleration your looking for. An auto GT vert needs three things; a good converter, a shift kit, and a 3.55+ rear gear.

Here are a few dyno graphs I found: '02 Roush Stage 1 (similar to GT);

'03 Mach 1 and '01 Cobra;
for fun, the '03 Cobra;

Mike King

Thanks for the info. Cool.

As for adding a good converter and shift kit to an `03 GT, is there a specific recommended recipe of parts? One thing that still bugs me is the points at which the converter chooses to lock, as well as its slipping. I have done a certain amount of research and have not yet found a specific plan that would guarantee success. I would be overjoyed if someone offered a converter, shift kit, rear axle swap plan WITH a chip that would automatically take care of any negative computer or speedometer side-effects from such a swap. After researching, it seems that there is no clear cut way to do such a swap. If indeed there is a proven swap plan for getting an auto GT to run better (tranny-wise), I'd be very interested in hearing. The Kenne Belle blower sounds cool too, but being that I have an auto car, I started thinking why put a $4000 blower on an automatic car when perhaps the tranny will never be quite right.... which led to ideas about just selling this auto car and picking up a manual Mach 1... or maybe even a Cobra.... and thus no heavy modification work to be done. However, if I dump my `03 GT in the near future, I will take a very serious financial hit, so I am not making a car swap so fast... if I can get my GT to behave a bit better, especially in terms of the tranny, I might be able to live with it.... and then who knows, maybe I'd try a Kenne Belle. Overall the car it runs pretty good as is now, but... I think the biggest annoyance is that damn locking torque converter... it is constantly locking and unlocking, always doing the wrong thing at the wrong time (at least per my taste). I guess if I was just an average Joe with the radio blasting, oblivious to everything, I'd never know the difference and the car would just zip along fine and I'd be happy... but I'm really fussy when it comes to how a car runs, and it bugs the heck out of me if things aren't just right. This auto tranny in this car is just a bit too complicated for it's own good in my opinion. I know Ford needs to meet certain mpg requirements etc, but... they could have at least provided a switch for the torque converter lock-up like some other Jap cars have... that might have made all the difference for me. I really should have done more homework before buying this car. I DID rent a V6 Stang vert before buying my GT, and I decided that I did like the car very much (other than the V6 engine and tranny), but I ASSUMED that the V8 GT would be a lot better and just fine in the engine and tranny department (and we all know how bad it is to assume anything). I think the GT V8 is a fine engine, but it still leaves me craving for some more torque... and as you mentioned, if the tranny was better, I'd probably be able to make better use of the torque that does exist... so... ok, enough whining... thanks for the info!

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

You may have covered this somewhere, but if your concerned with acceleration, why did you get a vert. (heavy) with an auto (slow). The 1-4 gears on the 5 spd. are close and allow you to make good use of the hp. You can wind it up as much as you like then shift. John

Reply to
jriegle

I'm happy with my changes (see below). The shift has been set to be very firm. At WOT the tires will light up in first and second and chirp into third. No engine mods yet. Speedo calibration is handled electronically with a product called the "AutoTrans Recalibrator".

Reply to
Richard