Disappointed

I hope this generates a lot of feedback. I just bought (last Saturday) a 2001 Jeep XJ (auto trans). I traded a 2000 GMC Z71 for this vehicle. I know that it is unfair to compare the two vehicles but I don't have anything else to compare the XJ to. BIG let-down. Again, all you Cherokee lovers, please excuse the comparison. The very first hill I climbed was a real strain on the XJ. There was a lot of loose gravel and dirt, but man, it seems that I had to use a lot of pedal to go up. I was afraid that if I let it return to anything close to idol it would force me to back down the hill. It took every thing to get up that hill. Pretty steep hill, admittedly but I don't think it was warranted. My friend's '97 XJ (manual trans) would have taken this hill at idol with no strain. My Z71 would have made it just above idol. Maybe a gear ratio would help or maybe I am expecting too much. Please advise before I drive this vehicle through the dealerships front window in disgust.

On hope and prayer Gary

Reply to
DHead

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Gary, it sounds like the axle is geared too high, possibly a 3.07. Changing it for a 3.73 or even a 4.10 if your tires are bigger would fix the power problem if your axle's current ratio is 3.07. Look for the axle ratio embossed into a steel tag between two bolts on either of your two axle's differential covers.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford PP-ASEL N6TAY See the Geezer Jeep at

wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

FYI, My 01 XJ w/auto, has 3.55 gears and open diffs.

Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains

A 2001 came with 3.55 gearing??? I thought the last year for 3.55 was 1977.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I have a 2000 XJ (auto trans) and it has 3.55 gears. Definitely not the strongest combination. In-town driving is better (read: more fun) in my 99 TJ (manual trans) with a 4cyl, 4.10's, and 31" tires. On the highway is another story, of course. Thus, I'm regearing to 4.88's after getting a stronger rear axle.

If you want a lot more "umph", regear. You didn't mention the size of your tires. AND, I have to say I'd bet your Z71 had a 350 V8 in it. You really can't compare the I-6 with that power.

Eric

99 TJ SE 00 XJ LTD

comparison.

Reply to
Eric

Oops, I meant to say that I thought the last year for 3.55 gearing was 1997, not 1977 that seems like only yesterday to me. ;) But apparently, that only applies to Wrangler TJs, not Cherokees.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

My .93 had 3.55.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

So it would stand to reason that my '93 had 3.55. :-)

dealerships

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

By any chance, did you neglect to shift into 4-lo?

comparison.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Get those axle's locked (your old one probably had atleast limited slip) and you'll see a huge difference. nick

comparison.

Reply to
Nick N

Jerry,

It also came with the 8.25" Chrysler rear diff. I'm not sure there were any D35c diffs used in '01 XJ's... HTH.

Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

We have a place called 'test hill' that is a sand pit with big walls to climb.

I have been in one Jeep and watched another Jeep 4.0 engine walk up this hill using no throttle at all.

I even have photos of the one gent walking outside his TJ while it is driving itself up the hill.

Try it you might like it.

Mike

DHead wrote:

Reply to