Do I really need rear brakes?

Hi folks, I have now got around to pulling off my rear drum to have a lookey at the rear brakes. The situation was that I failed for braking differential between the front and the rear brakes in the state inspection. The assumption was that the rear brakes were worn out at 90K miles. I had done the fronts some time ago. I was expecting to have to bring the drums down to the shop to have them cut while I swap out the shoe parts. To my surprise, it all actually looks to me to still be OK, with a lot of pad left.

I posted a few pictures (the first time I have done that - yep I am so proud...my daughter helped me there - links below) that I would like you to please look at and either confirm that I do not need new brakes or set me straight in whatever way I need it.

When I took off the drum, before I messed with the star adjuster, it seemed kind of loose to my uncalibrated feel. The drum was loose enough to rattle in my hand on the studs, it just would not come of due to the ridges in the drum. When I was adjusting the shoes to be able to get the drum off, I first moved it a bit in the wrong direction and it tightened up so the drum did not move. It seemed like there was a bit of adjusting done to get that far. It is all dry in there - no leaks.

So here is what I am thinking now. All I need to do is put it back together and adjust to wheel stoppage and then back off a bit so it moves with just a little resistance. Then try running it through inspection (which is free) again. Cool?

I am wondering at this point why they would need to be adjusted. Do they not self adjust when I back out of the garage every day? Is this something I need to do periodically? What is up with this?

Thanks folks for your insight. Tomes (also posted to other NGs)

The picture links: Entire assembly.

of rear shoe
of front shoe
- no gouges at all on surface that is meeting up with the pads

Tomes

The star wheel adjusters sometimes stop working for lubricant failure or corrosion. Take them apart and lubricate the threads with a high quality "anti-seize" type of lubricant. If they were loose as you say, this could cause a delay in application of the shoes and make it fail a braking differential test. You do need rear brakes, to sort of straighten you out in a stop. The wear you are describing sounds normal for 90k miles.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Looks can be deceiving. I've had shoes glaze on me, soaked up grease or brake fluid (see any leaks in that wheel?) and wheel cylinders freeze. All "looked" good.

Since you know there was something amiss, try this: lightly sand the shoes - just enough to break any glaze. Loosen the parking brake cable to the point it just flops. Press one end of the wheel cylinder and see if the other side moves. Pull the rubber cap back and look for fluid in the cap - if it's wet at all, replace the wheel cylinder or put in new cups (do they still sell those things?) and change the shoes. Remount the brakes and adjust them so that the wheel locks, then back of about 4 clicks on the star wheel. Last step is to adjust the parking brake. NEVER adjust the brakes with the parking brake cable tightened - always back it off, adjust the brakes, then reset the parking brake! Bleed the brakes carefully - you may just have a little air in the rear lines.

If the shoes were glazed, the sanding will probably get you by the inspection but they will glaze again real soon.

Shoes are cheap - cheaper than your labor to remove and re-install them - but it might take a while to get new ones to set if you don't arc them.

Beyond that, you are looking at the proportioner valve not dividing the pressure correctly

Reply to
Will Honea

Look behind the star wheel, there should be a rubber plug (or a hole) This is for adjusting the brakes once they are on. Put the drum on and use a flatblade screwdriver to slowly turn the star wheel till the drum just starts to rub the pads. (they make a release tool to move the adjuster arm back, the arm will keep you from turning the star wheel the wrong way) I use a second screwdriver. If your comfortable with this then turn the star wheel till the drum can't be turned easily by hand, then release the adjuster arm and back the star wheel off a couple of notches.

Those pads and drum look worn. Hard to tell how deep the ridge is in there but I'd check prices for new drums and pads. Sometimes it's actually cheaper than having them turned.

They self adjust (sometimes). I've found that every so often if the jeep is level and I don't have the brakes on, that pulling up on the e-brake a few times tightens things up.

One of the big problems is the adjusting wheel (star wheel) getting full of crud. I prefer to clean the whole thing out and use some chassis lube on the threads.

Reply to
DougW

If those were mine, I'd replace the drums due to the scoring. And because it's a good idea to replace pads on new discs / drums, I'd replace the pads as well. I've never had a vehicle in which the automatic adjusters worked that well, but yes you are right in theory that they should adjust when you reverse.

Out of interest, what is your handbrake like ?

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

That is what I used to adjust them to get the drum off.

Hmmm - I was able to move the star both directions in getting the drum off...

Cost is $15 each for turning and $40 each for new drums. Hardware kit is $15 and the pads ate about $65 for the set (Raybestos). The surface where the 2 pad parallel mating surfaces run on the drum surface is perfectly flat. The middle ridge is between those 2 parallel pad surfaces.

The e-brake is something I very rarely use. Maybe I ought to.

It is actually pretty clean in there - no crud on the star wheel at all.

Thanks Doug - much appreciated. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Hi Dave, I do not think that it is really scored, it is just that the shiny part is the only surface that the pads are running on. The pads that are in there have these 2 parallel surfaces instead of one big flat surface. The other 'crud' on there is on the sides or between the mating surfaces.

The handbrake is something that I rarely use, but when I do it is normal. Perhaps I ought to use it more... Tomes

"Dave Milne" ...

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Ah, ok. It is difficult to tell from the photos.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Tomes, If there is a lip on the drum and you have to "de-adjust" the shoes just to get the drums off, then you need to machine the drums so they're uniform all the way across the face. Then, clean and lube all the friction points where the shoes ride on the backing plate, clean and lube the star wheel adjuster and threads, re-assemble, and adjust just exactly the way you described in your first post on the matter, and recheck the adjustments every couple of months or so. Adjusters aren't perfect, so they don't perform correctly the more they get dirty and brake dust on them. You will notice a marked improvement in your braking, and pedal response. Good luck,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thanks.

"Spdloader" ...

Reply to
Tomes

Since we are having a snowstorm here and I am off from school as a result I had the opportunity to go to the inspection station and have them run it through the brake test. It passed no problem. I just put the drums back on and tightened up the star wheel.

It also gave me an excuse for going out and driving in all this snow.....

Thanks for the help everyone, it is much appreciated. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes