Driving without oxygen sensor?

Diagnosed with oxygen sensor problems, and waiting to get the replacement parts sent to me to Asia where I work. I the meantime I have disconnected the upstream sensor, just to find, that my 97 Cherokee 4.0/L6 runs actually very well without the sensor. I could not tell any difference, and it does not look like the gasoline consumption is going up.

My question is now: Does one need both sensors, or is it just because of emission laws in America, that they are required. I mean, do I really need them here in Asia, or can I just drive without them, and not risk any engine damage?

Reply to
Goldpalm

I'm surprised it runs well without the upstream sensor. Normally the one 02 sensor that it can run well without is the downstream sensor, the one nearest the catalytic converter. Without the upstream 02 sensor, it should be running very rich... too rich.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I would be very hesitant to run without upstream sensor. I was told that catalytic converters don't die - they are murdered............run too rich too long & you will murder your cat.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

I ran with the O2 sensor disconnected for five years only because it wasn't connected properly from new, but once connected my fuel consumption really improved. Rgds Arthur.

Reply to
Art

I guess it did! LOL I'll bet your cat stopped lighting up, too!

Reply to
TJim