Replacing Oxygen Sensor?

I need a new Oxygen Sensor. I just had my truck tuned, 1985 4x4 2.4L. The service dept. told me I need a new one, but they want $205.00 just for the sensor. Sounds a bit steep when you can find them for $50.00 on the web. The physical replacement isn't a real concern for me. Is there recalibration of any sort that is required? Thanks, Croaker

Reply to
Croaker

Nope, just plug it in.

Reply to
Jim

Might be a special tool to remove the old sensor, sometimes the parts store will lend the tool to you for a deposit.

Reply to
tflfb

ya gotta love that 500% markup!

Reply to
reddave1999

And you assume it's the same part.

Reply to
Steve

For $205 it had better be a wide band sensor - two sensors on opposite sides of the same substrate, powered so it "pumps" O2 into the porous ceramic. Seen claims that the Bosch uego sells at about $190.

All other O2 sensors are one of two types Titania and Zirconia. Zirconia ones generate a voltage - 0.2v-0.8v. Titania have a current applied and produce a change in resistance and thus change the voltage dropped across them typically 1v-5v. The switch from one condition to the other is rapid and depends only on sensor temperature and condition. It is not possible to make a sensor so it has any variation in function to any other sensor of the same type. The only other things that need to be taken into account is earth though body or separate wire = 1 or 2 wire and heating = 3 or 4 wire, does it fit the nut? I can't see possible claims to better quality of manufacture or a Nissan stamp being worth $150.

Nissan have used both types. Titania is more expensive than Zirconia.

Peter Hill

Yep and some people believe an autozone starter is as good as a nissan one as well. Live and learn..

Reply to
Stacey

I wouldn't get very far with a Nissan starter motor. Nissan didn't make my Nissan's starter motor, it has either a Hitachi or Mitsubishi. I have only had one starter motor fail in 25 years and 7 cars (4 of which had done over 100K miles) and that was due to a previous owner fitting a cheap underrated battery. The reduced current and voltage meant that it took an excessive time to crank up and start. resulting in overheated windings. When I fitted a proper battery the damaged windings failed as they could not take the current.

Ignition is Mitsubishi too.

Peter Hill

But they sell -factory- remans ones..

And you have what training and do what for a living to be such an expert on this subject?

Reply to
Steve T

Mechanical engineer. Qualification is currently set at Masters level but was 2.2 honors Degree when I took it. The qualification hasn't changed, the standard of British education has declined. I work for a UK based international aerospace propulsion system maker based in Derby England. 5 years as advanced manufacturing engineer and 2 as advanced stress engineer.

Do you want the rest of the CV? Like doing fuel loops at college on one of these in the bottom photo.

Peter Hill

So what does that have to do with the automotive industry and parts reliability percentages? You only have experience with your personal cars correct? I've worked on hundreds a year for over 20 years. Your coment about only having one starter go bad infering they rarely fail is comical! And I've NEVER seen one with the windings go bad, that's the least likely part to fail unless a moron just keeps grinding on it. I can't believe you'd think a new battery would ruin a starter!! LOL!

And this give you what experience on which parts on a car work better and are more reliable?

If I need some advice on a rocketship engine, guess you'd be the one to ask? Have you scope tested O2 sensors to see how slow and fast different makers sensors react? I kinda doubt it..

Funny how engineers always -assume- they know everything about everything. Somehow I knew you were going to come back with this kinda stuff :-/

Reply to
Steve T