Early CJ5 Body question

My 1964 CJ5 has a 1/2" -5/8" diameter x approx. 6" long sheet metal tube attached vertically to the outside of each of the rear corners. These appear to be original to the jeep.

Does anyone know what the intended use is for these?

Reply to
Scott

A picture might help... I'm thinking for flags if it is sheet metal (not strong enough to hang something off of). Do you know its history? Maybe it was a parade vehicle for the Shiners or something.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

These were sockets for the factory soft top rear bows. Some jeeps had them, some didn't. Not sure but I think the military versions used them as well. Search around the net, I've seen sites detailing these things.

Scott ( snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net) wrote: : My 1964 CJ5 has a 1/2" -5/8" diameter x approx. 6" long sheet metal tube : attached vertically to the outside of each of the rear corners. These : appear to be original to the jeep.

: Does anyone know what the intended use is for these?

-- Howard Eisenhauer on ************************************** * * Chebucto Community Network * Can't think of anything cute * Halifax Nova Scotia * to put in here * * * snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca **************************************

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bow pockets for the original, factory soft-top.

Reply to
S. Lane