CJ Lovers Help Please, Questions About Purchase

Everyone,

I have been out of the Jeep game since I sold both of my TJs. However, I now have the opportunity to buy what might be my dream Jeep and need a little information. A friend of mine has offered me his 1979 CJ-5. It has a 304 V8 (NAPA Rebuilt w/ 13K Miles on it) and what I think is the T-150 3-Speed Tranny (Rebuilt 6K Miles Ago). The steel body is in awesome shape for it's age and the frame looks good. Rust is present but minimal (This CJ was raised in the South.) Only things that are not stock that I know of are a 3" body lift (Which I would Remove), a set of headers, and the seats. It has a set of 33" Buckshots and 4.56 gears as well. My questions:

What transfer case is in the thing, it's stock? What rear-end is on it? (This is my biggest question because it is not an AMC 20. The pumpkin looks kinda like an old D44, but I cannot verify that those came on a 79 model CJ-5.) Is $3000 a fair price for this rig? Also, any miscellaneous information would be welcomed.

Thanks,

GK

Reply to
GK

L.W.(ßill)

Bill,

Thanks for the helpful info. It looks like the combination of parts I am seeing in the link you sent me for the CJ-5 were only available in 1975 and earlier. I really don't think my friend is trying to be dishonest with me by telling be it's a 79 model, but more likely he may just be uninformed. Although I know people mix and match Jeep parts all the time, that D44 on it sure looks like it came on there stock. If not, it's been there a long time. Would the D44 have been available in 1979 as an option? Either way, if it's a 75, that just makes it allot cooler to me. I should be picking it up today.

Thanks,

GK

Reply to
GK

There was a windshield and body change in '76 that will give it away. The pre-76s had a narrower body and windshield, and the Willys-style tailgate.

76 and later had the AMC Jeep style tailgate, and a different windshield (knobs instead of latches, non-removable hinges, etc). Good luck with your find, sounds like a gem! Nick
Reply to
Zodiac

My '81 CJ5 has no tailgate at all.

Reply to