Electrical problems

Hi all....I have a 1987 YJ that won't run worth crap if the headlights are on. During the day it runs fine. Help Me!!! Thank You

Reply to
Boog44

That normally means the body has lost it's ground. There should be a mesh cable that runs from the rear of the engine to the firewall and one across one of the engine mounts.

On a YJ there might even be one from the battery negative to the fender too.

The other common point is the starter relay. If you follow the wire from the battery positive to the relay on the firewall, you will come to a post. This post can get a bad connection and is where the fuse links hook up for the ignition harness and headlight harness.

My bet is the ground though...

Mike

Mike Romain

That or a dying battery/flat cell.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks guys.....new battery and starter...I'll check it out though. I'll be looking for the mesh straps.

Reply to
Boog44

The mesh straps rot from the inside...

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Easy way to test for a rotted strap is to run battery jumper cables between the engine block and the frame or battery negative. (just mind the belts)

looking for the mesh straps.

Reply to
DougW

Mechanics suck.......YOU GUYS ROCK!!! That is exactly what it was, the mesh ground strap from the engine to the firewall was loose....Thanks a lot.....

Reply to
Boog44

Thanks for the update!

Mike