End of Summer 2004 Run Call- Jeeping to James Bay! Update!

This is a June update.

We have some good interest in the trip and could have 5 to 10 vehicles.

It is about time to start organizing a bit and to start to get some confirmations from people.

Our start time is delayed by a day until Sunday morning, Aug. 29.

This is due to a Wedding between two fellow Jeepers! Steve Seppala and Jo-Anne or Jo from TO or 'mad Jo' as some of us fondly call her!

They are getting hitched on Saturday here in Toronto and we are going on the run the next morning.

We will be leaving Toronto early Sunday AM.

Please email me for more info or for confirmation of coming.

Thanks,

Mike

Folks we have decided to run in our Jeep up to James Bay for an end of summer run this year.

The road is paved all the way to the bay.

We will be getting together on Saturday, August 28 in Toronto and meeting any from the Ottawa/Montreal direction in or near Rouyn-Noranda Quebec near supper time. Returning on September 5/6 Labor Day weekend.

We then will be heading straight north with camping planned as soon as we hit the James Bay Highway at Matagami sometime in the evening.

Then it is 730 km almost straight north to the shore of James Bay. We plan on taking in the sights and things to do along the way and when we reach the Cree village of Chisasibi at the end of the road.

We then will try to hit the bush along the Bay just to see where we can get to.

There are tons of organized activities that can be booked from town. Plane, canoe tours, Fishing, diving on wrecks, etc....

We will be bringing our canoe or maybe a rubber dingy along and my big

12x12' bug tent although bugs aren't too bad at the end of August, we canoed up there a few years back and weren't 'bugged'.

I will be contacting the local tour outfitter folks and ask if they have any pointers to where some good Jeeping or sight seeing is, maybe we can even bushwhack it in our Jeeps to Hudson's Bay, who knows at this point.

Extra gas will be essential, although there are lots of places to get it along the way, off in the bush you can burn a lot fast sometimes. I have a ton of good gas cans, lots to lend out if needed.

There are food stores up there local so perishables can be obtained locally for later in the week's meals.

I figured now would be a good time to do the run call so folks can plan their summer vacations.

This is a family style vacation trip and wives and kids are welcome and already are coming.

More of an adventure drive than a hard core off road trip, but I can imagine we will find something to get stuck in... ;-)

Here is a link to the destination with trip map links on the page.

I will send this out a couple more times, over the year.

Anyone interested in joining us email me or tag me here.

Mike

Mike Romain

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Isn't it though!

I certainly will pass on your wishes and I will have a photo album up from their wedding for sure! It is going to be a Hawaiian theme on the shore of Lake Ontario.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hawaii and Lake Ontario just don't go together... guess if you import some traditional dancers, somehow get the permits from local Government for a giant bonfire on what little beach there is ohhh and be so lucky if the beach area is actually swim-able then. ... Ok what can I say .. I hate T.O. give anything north of Orillia anyday..

CONGRATS Jo & Steve ..

Snow...

Rouyn-Noranda

Reply to
Snow

Absolutely untrue! As a former Oakville resident in my teens, I can vouch for the Hawaiian tradition of Lei-giving. Leis are traditionally given to people arriving and leaving Hawaii meaning love, or friendship. I can not even begin to count the number of times I've been Lei'd on the shores of Lake Ontario.

P.S. - have any trails you can recommend in the Barrie (Molson Park Dr.) area? I plan on spending some quality time there this summer... maybe we can hook up.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

They don't want anyone to get sick by touching the water in the lake, so it is being held up on the bluffs.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Bill, you hairly old ape. ;-)

Reply to
Jo in TO

Reply to
twaldron

'bout time you pop back on here Jo. Congrats to you and Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
jbjeep

HAHA,, I actually grew up on the shores of the Saint Lawrence and also in the country lands North of T.O, so I do know of bad lakes. I'll ask some co-workers who live in Barrie and Northwards if there's any spots, I generally vacation in the huge metropolis area of North Bay.

Snow

Reply to
Snow

Hey, chickie!

I've been quietly lurking all along...hard to believe, I know. :-)) It's often very hard to resist chiming in with my $0.02, but working 14+ hours/7 days doesn't leave much time for typing silly responses. *sigh* Can't complain, though, life is treating me fairly well and things are looking good for the future.

You have my email?

Jo

Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jo in TO

Hi Thomas :-)

I'm sure Steve is okay if I consort with primates. He's quite secure. Anyway, Bill is a special case. Grumpy and lovable as he is, it would be almost criminal to post anything in ramjaw without poking some sort of fun...

I wish I had jeep problems so I would have something relevant to contribute. Oh well, I'll stick to what I do best!

Jo

Reply to
Jo in TO

Reply to
twaldron

They used to have major bands there....but with molson closed up (it's not even called molson park anymore) so not sure if they still got the bands.

I just moved to Barrie in January and haven't gotten around to looking for trails....but I'd say that Barrie is probably on the edge of wheeling country (probably lots from here north.).

But be sure to pass some along if someone tips ya!

Reply to
SB