Anyone ever changed an XJ evaporator core?

Any guidance on doing this / where to start? I had the system on my 97 Cherokee country pressure tested and they tell me the core is finished. Any experience in how long a job it is to replace this, and what is involved?

Thanks- please cc snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com with replies..... any info appreciated.

Reply to
John Galhougi

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

you mean the heater core or radiater. john

Reply to
johnny

It's actually the air conditioning (evaporator) core that is near the heater core inside the housing under the dash. You literally have to tear the dash, steering column, etc. out of the car to get to it. I wouldn't begin to attempt it. When we had the one changed (under warranty) on our ZJ, the bill came to right at $1,000, and that was 10 years ago. Sure glad I didn't have to pay for it (or do it.)

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
flannery

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

This is great info- Thanks. To John's question, it's the AC evaporator core... I recently changed the cancel cam in my steering column and had to remove a lot, so I've had a lot of the parts out already but never the entire dash. Should be interesting. I can live without the vehicle for a day or two as I do the work, so I can take my time. Thanks again for all the pointers. Where do you add the oil?

Cheers /gbm

Reply to
John Galhougi

I had the dash out of a '92 XJ and my '88 MJ and I would suggest a couple of steps that are not totally obvious. First, do something to mark (or at least get a firm picture) of just how the wiring harness is routed. The harness stays in but it is tied to the dash panels and getting it back straight and snug is a PITA - to say the least - if your hands are as big as mine. The second gotcha to look out for also involves the wiring bundle(s). Be very careful not to pinch any of the wires when you put things back.

Ah! > This is great info- Thanks. To John's question, it's the AC evaporator

Reply to
Will Honea

Please explain. Pressure testing is somthing done to heater cores and other cooling system parts. The evaporator is a air conditioning part.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

This usually involves adding a dye to the freon, then running the system a while and checking with a special lamp for signs of leakage.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Yup,

95 Intrepid the next month replaced. Even got the OEM foam evaporator holder (1 of 2 peices) that was eaten away by the oil. Had to drive 25 miles to dealer who had one, came in big box and weighed less than 1 # for $7.59!!!Said it was on shelf for 5 years. Chrysler got me back though, oil and lube on Cherokee last week, raining like crazy, young kid says left turn signal out would you like it replaced? Looking out at the monsoon I figured sure what the hell (figuring $10 splurge), Bill comes .58 for bulb, and $23.00!!!!labor. Lessoned learned.
Reply to
flannery

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III