Engine Rattle- '98 TJ

'98 TJ 4.0L Manual

Have developed a rattle somewhere in the engine. Has gotten progressively more noticeable at idle and very low RPM. Just can't seem to pinpoint it over the engine noise. Any typical problems I should look for? Its not in the tranny since the noise can be heard at idle. Water pump is new. Maybe the AC compressor bearings, but AC works fine.

Reply to
GTK

AC compressor is tested by listening to it with the compressor off and the compressor on. If the noise goes away with the compressor on then it's the electric clutch. If the reverse, then it's the compressor bearings.

Initial thought is a cracked exhaust manifold. Usually around the lower collector or back on cyl 5/6.

How's the cat? is the rattle coming from it?

Also check the motor mounts to make sure they haven't gone byebye and let the engine or exhaust rattle up against something.

Reply to
DougW

That was my first thought... exhaust manifold.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

The rad fan clutch will/can make a rattle when it fails.

Mike

Mike Romain

I'm disappointed. I thought you would find some way to blame a bad ground strap

Reply to
Steve Foley

LOL

Chris

It can if the loose ends and banging around the valve cover...

Reply to
billy ray