Engine swap

looking to put a small block chevy in a 92 wrangler. found a web site summit racing that sell the motor mounts. bolt on not sure about the tranny. It's a 700r 4 speed auto. Anyone out ever done this or any suggestions. thanks jd

Reply to
John Dodd

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Every loser and his aunt puts a smallblock Chevy in a Jeep. Show a little class and be more creative.

Reply to
calcerise

How about this one?? Have a friend that has an 89 Wrangler with the 2.5L 4 cyl. Motor is very tired. How difficult would a transplant of the Jeep

4.0L 6 cyl? Has manual tansmission. What else do we need to know? Is that a good engine for that vehicle? He would like to use it for hunting, etc, no drag racing :-) Or would the small block chevy be a better choice? Is that why everybody is doing the Chevy swap or is it price? Creativity has it's place but practicality will sometime win out.
Reply to
William G.

William G. did pass the time by typing:

Here you go.

As for the Chevy smallblock... the venerable 350 is no slouch. Besides having no complicated electronics it is much easier and cheaper to transplant than a modern day compooter controlled engine and tranny. Always remember to include the electonics in any transplant, that's where the cost can bite you in the wallet.

Reply to
DougW

The modern smallblock is a fully electronic engine. Late model ones can be fitted with a carb, but they are distributorless so you need an expensive conversion electronic ignition setup.

Most people WANT electronic engines today-for drivability and fuel mileage and power, plus, unless you are in a no inspection state, putting a CPU-less engine in a late model chassis is almost impossible. About the only way around it might be if you ran LPG or CNG and even then some states would still demand all the stuff that was there still be-cat con, air pump, EGR, et al.

There are after market electronic control systems that give you full programmability over RS-232 instead of automotive bullshit protocols, adapt to most crank and cam position sensors and MAFs, and fire most common injectors, but they are either high dollar or are DIY projects you need to build from boards and write the firmware in assembler or C++.

The AMC six just isn't all that bad an engine really....

Reply to
calcerise

I agree that the AMC 6 is a decent engine for that purpose. I was thinking that to upgrade from the 4 banger to the 6 would be a logical one, probably mostly bolt in and since it is sticking with the same car company, maybe even the electronics will be a bit more compatible. I guess I was mostly wondering about the ease of the upgrade. If some poor bastard rolled his Wrangler and it had the 6 cyl and a guy could buy the whole wrecked rig, then maybe the transplant would not be such a big deal. Would the manual transmission from the 4 cyl bolt up to the 6? If it does, would it stay together with the increased power/torque? That's the kind of information I was looking for when I first posted the messge. Thought that somebody out there had done this and would point me in the right direction. Since we are in Idaho, and most of the area has no emission testing yet, we could probably get by with about any modification we wanted.

Reply to
William G.

This site has ALL the answers for engine swapping ;-) I am impressed with the amount of info here for anybody contemplating an engine swap.

it in an earlier post.

Reply to
William G.

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hey thanks. I read that the 4 cyl transmission was crap anyway, not really strong enough for the 4 cyl! So now the transplant is getting a bit more extensive but not too bad yet. How about the transfer case and differentials? Did they put wimpy ones behind the 2.5L? Would they have to be replaced? Should he just buy a different rig? Don't mind doing the work but maybe starting with the 2.5L rig is not a good spot to start?

Reply to
William G.

The AX-5 transmission failures that I have heard about seem to involve over use of fifth gear. Even with the stock 4.11 axle ratio found with the 2.5 liter engine, fifth gear is all but useless except in a tail wind situation. Imho, the best engine for this vehicle is another 2.5 liter engine.

The transfer case and differential are the same as are used with the six cylinder engine, except for two differences. The transfer case input shaft/gear would have to be swapped with a longer part to use it with the AX-15 engine. This involves disassembly of the transfer case. The differentials sport 4.11 gears (actually 4.10 front) which is close to the optimal ratio for most applications. Although the D35C rear axle is not exactly "wimpy" many prefer the heavier D44 or a Ford 9-inch axle from an Explorer. Bill has some pics of D35C axle C-clip failures that you might want to look at.

This vehicle with a six cylinder engine would be a decent rig, but I am not sure it would be worth the effort required, unless you find that wrecked vehicle you were talking about. For an off road vehicle, or even one used in a rural setting, the main thing you are looking for in an engine swap is reliability. The 2.5 liter will sip fuel on the trail and idle all day without overheating.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com proclaimed:

? Put a Clifford kitted 4.0 in a Malibu?

PS: speaking of lusers....

Reply to
Lon

Novak doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, and further appear proud of it. Their product line is mostly "Mickey Mouse Plates"-adapters to adapt the engine's bellhousing to the target transmission. Building a new bellhousing, while more expensive, is the right way. They also offer some dubious transmission advice.

Reply to
calcerise

Are you aware the stock Jeep used an adapter between the Buick V6 and V8 bellhousings and their Borg Warner T-89, T-90, T-14 and T-15 transmission? Yes, Novak will make an adapter for the AX-15, and Advanced will not. My first Jeep adapter bought from Advanced was for a Muncie M-22 to a Dana 20, in '69. First engines into a CJ-5 were the Buick 350:

and Olds 455, andof course the 350, and 400" small block Chevys:
What were your first? God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have owned three Jeeps and sorry, have seen fit to keep the 258 in all three. WOULD I do a swap? Yeah, someday-but it would have to be free of those pesky ceramic things you thread in the head. Probably an Axis-built (Jap, Italian or German...) stinky smoky diesel.

Reply to
calcerise