850 clutch cost???

I have a 1993 850 that needs a new clutch. Does anyone have experience with the cost for a replacement (parts, labor) in the U.S.?

Thanks, BobZ

Reply to
RAZ

Bob,

I also have a 1993 850, stick.

I priced out clutch replacement just a couple weeks ago but didn't actually have it done (had the exhaust system replaced instead - incl. catalytic). Ouch. Was getting fumes inside the car. Also had battery and serp/timing belt and tensioner replaced. All of that (not the clutch) was just under $2000.

They said it would also cost around $2000 to have the clutch replaced, along with the clutch master cylinder and the main bearing oil seal. All these are recommended, from what I hear, when you have the clutch done. They did not say what the parts versus labor cost was. That was the whole cost.

They test drove my car, determined that the clutch was fine, and not to worry about it until it actually starts to slip in 4th or 5th under accelleration. That's why I decided not to have it done. I have 152K miles on the car.

To me, the clutch seems grabby in 1st gear (not slippy). Also, with clutch disengaged (foot to the floor) but car still in 1st gear, I think something is still rubbing a little bit, when slowing down to stop. I can feel it. As if clutch does not totally disengage of if something's gummed up, causing tranny to still be slightly connected to flywheel. If I put car in neutral and do same, all is OK.

What symptoms are you seeing that you are having it replaced? How many miles are on your car?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer