Flooded Transfer Case Questions

I have been searching for a new transfer case for my jeep and have finally come across one that seems to be working. Transfer case is in a vehicle that was flooded and has sat for about a year since. It shifts alright, maybe a little stiff. I plan to drop the oil out of it this afternoon. What should I look for ? Also if the oil is not clean looking, can you replace the oil run it for a few days and change the fluid etc until it looks alright, or should I keep looking. I just don't have access to very many parts here, but would prefer to not have to wait for a recon, transfer case to get here if possible.

Reply to
zander

I would just look for water inside. If a bunch of purple milkshake crap or a blast of rusty water comes out, then I would think twice about that case.

You don't say what kind of TC, but I sure wouldn't want a chain driven one that was water soaked for a year.

Mike

Mike Romain

I agree its a np 231 21 spline transfer case, and I just wanted to know if there were any particular things I should look for.

Thanks

Reply to
zander

You could be lucky.

Unlike the 'unvented' (no high water line) transmission, the t-case has a vent line with a waterproof valve on it that should keep water out if the Jeep remained right side up and wasn't submersed too awful long.

Mike

Mike Romain

Not on the outside. Spend a few minites and open it up. Any rust means all bearings are shot.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

So even if the oil looks alright, I should open the case up and look for any rust that may have started on the inside. If any rust has started I should continue looking correct ?

Reply to
zander

Water is obvious when you open the drain. If the oil is clean, no worries.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Oil looks slightly off color, not milky or dirty, just kinda off color.. I'm going to pull it off and take a better look at it and have a few mechanic friends give me their opinion.

Reply to
zander

Water is really obvious. Your descriptions sounds good. Water falls to the bottom so a clear stream will come out if the t-case was filled or got any in. If it gets mixed in too, the oil goes like a milkshake consistency.

Mike

Mike Romain