transfer case

How do I determine what transfer case I have? I have an 85 CJ7 258

6-cyl 5-speed. From this site
I see I have either a "Dana20, Quadra-Trac, Dana 300". What oil should I use in the transfer case?
Reply to
Jim85CJ

It is probably a Dana 300, this page may help you id it, and has links to id the others.

Rusted

I recommend you get the Haynes manual from your local auto parts store for the CJ's. It is a great book and is inexpensive.

Your transfer case is likely the Dana 300 that shifts like 4L-N-2H-4H and uses API GL5 85W90.

Toss a coin for the tranny between ATF and API GL4 80W90, both were used. The original owners manual for the 85's and 86's for sure states to use gear oil, but for a couple of the earlier years they tried ATF. My local dealer here in Canada says ATF is ok in the cold winter, but they recommend gear oil for the summer.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain