Found, now what?

Well, the Jeep was recovered.

The problem is that it looks like the front axle is bent, and I don't think it's worth trying to get repaired. What does it look like to you guys on the board? If it is unfixable, and ideas on what to do with it? I'm not sure if a used car dealer would give me any $$. In that case, I would probably take all the parts I know I could sell and then junk it *sniff*.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions on what I should do at this point.

Thanks

Hank

Reply to
Hank
2001 Jeep Cherokee sport. How many miles??

Relatively beat up but fixable if you want.

-Bent front steering knuckle on the passenger side

-Punched steering column

-Ripped rear bumper and mount

-Messed up dash where radio was ripped off (hey I'll send you a unit that will fit in for the price of shipping!)

Get some repair estimates, I'd guess (sitting out on a limb here!!) that the value ($8000????) is more than the repair ($3000-$4000???). I didn't see anything that was a huge deal to fix.

Hank wrote:A dealer won't touch it, they have lots of choices for vehicles that don't need repair. If you want to dump it, I'd put an ad in the paper for a "Repaireable" and just list the details. See what happens. Around here (midwest) that should be worth several thousand if you can sell it with a clean (not salvage) title.

Sleep on it for a few days, I suspect you are not in as much trouble as you think. Good luck.

Reply to
RoyJ

Now we know where the "Drive it like you stole it" phrase came from. Did they catch the scumbags?

With teh front axle bent (it's toast) and all that damage to the rear end, I'd be concerned with the damage that isn't readily visible...is the unibody still straight?

First thing you should do is call your insurance company, see if THEY think it's fixible.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

looks fixable if the unibody's still straight. looks like u really enjoyed having it. can u find another one?

Reply to
Serg

You do have insurance right Hank? Curious as to why the thieves didn't take you tools? My deepest sympathies, something like this happens and you feel violated,,, might have been better not getting it back. I would avoid a dealer $$$$ for repairs and check local autobody shops.

Reply to
jaco

Nope, they fled on foot.

The body looks it, but I have no idea really.

They don't. That's another story in itself, but just go with the fact that their not totaling it but putting it in as a repair. Like I said, just run with it.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Yes, but it would be nice to get more $$ out of this whole ordeal in some way, shape, or form to have to put towards a new vehicle.

Simple. They weren't my tools. They left them for me to sell on eBay.

Nah. Don't ask why or how, but I'm getting more from the insurance because they found it then if it didn't turn up.

I just wonder if it's worth the cost in the end. If not, what do I do with it?

Hank

Reply to
Hank

About 117,000.

Thanks. I work for Best Buy, so I can head down there and get the $20 special for about $9.

I didn't get any estimates, but that's the way it seems. I could get an estimate, but to get the car anywhere it has to be towed (which limits where I can go).

What's the difference in the titles? The car isn't getting totaled out by the insurance, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by a clean title vs. a salvage title.

Yeah, I am. Just not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm just trying to find the best way to let it go and still make some $$ to put towards the next Jeep of some time (w/ a SFA).

Hank

Reply to
Hank

I'm sure I could get a replacement off lease. That end I'm not worried about yet, what I'm worried about is what I'm going to do with the Jeep in my driveway that can't move under it's own power.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Reply to