front door vent windows leaking

hey everyone, i wanted to know if someone knew how to keep the vent windows from leaking when it rains or when i go and wash my 93 xj? the latches are loose and i don't know how to tighten them or if i should put a bead of sealant on the windows to keep the water out?

Reply to
jeepney driver via CarKB.com

jeepney driver via CarKB.com wrote: ... how to keep the vent windows from leaking ...

Try putting dimes behind the latches. If that doesn't do it, try thicker coins. I also don't know how to tighten the latches, but 2 dimes has worked on mine for years. Just my 20 cents worth ; ) TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker

Reply to
Tomes

The factory service bulletin says to convince the owner to install fixed vent windows.

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

Of the various cars that I've had over the years, it seems that all of them that had the window vents leaked air... It never seemed to be possible to wedge something tight enough into the latch mechanism to keep from there being at least a bit of wind noise coming in there... I never noticed them leaking water though... When I bought my XJ, one of the things that I was looking for was NO window vents... They're probably only useful when you don't have air-conditioning and that's not really an option in Houston...

Reply to
Grumman-581

The wing windows were deleted from the XJ sometime between `93 and `96. I miss `em.

They're also useful when you occasionally lend your car to a cigarette smoker.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Actually, they are extremely useful if you ever want to drive at a decent speed with the windows open, as they reduce noise and keep the wind from blowing in your face.

I think the XJ was one of the last vehicles sold in North America that had them, and it is one of the reasons that I bought two of them!

Best Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Mine is a '95... They still had them as an option for that year, but I explicitly did not want them on my vehicle... Hell, I remember taking RTV and sealing them shut on a previous vehicle to finally stop the wind noise...

Hell, I don't even allow smokers inside my cars, much less lend it to 'em... Or are you suggesting squeezing the smokers through the vent instead of just throwing them out the normal size window while at highway speeds? Seems a bit messy, but doable...

Reply to
Grumman-581