front end shudder

hey -

first of all, this is the first time I've posted to this group... I've been reading the threads here for months though, doing a ton of research on Wranglers before I decided to buy one, which I did just a couple months ago - got a new 2004 TJ X. Loaded it up with the full-hard doors/top, limited slip, ABS, and some other niceties. Gotta love it!

anyhow, after breaking it in for about 1000 miles, I started taking it off road - nothing serious, no river-fording or huge boulders to crawl - and I've gotta say that I'm extremely pleased with how it handles, even without any custom mods.

there's one thing that kinda concerns me a bit, though, that hopefully someone here knows about: I've noticed that a couple of times when I'm in 4-HI and in a position where my traction isn't very good (most recently, when I was blazing a trail through a foot of snow in the woods behind a friend's house), that I notice the front end shuddering. Sounded like the engine was trying to break free... *dunk dunk dunk dunk*. I was stopped, then tried moving forward in first gear while slipping the clutch (yes, now I know when to use 4-LO), and that's when it happened. I didn't actually go anywhere. I think perhaps my front wheels were turned a bit, maybe sharply to the left - could that have anything to do with it? it didn't do any noticable damage, still runs great on and off road as far as I can tell. just one hell of a nasty sound!

so yeah, if anyone knows anything about this, I'd love to know what's causing the shudder and if it's likely to have caused any damage to my new toy.

thanks!

Matt

Reply to
Matt