FS: Factory AM/FM Radio Cassette Player from 98JGC. $125 + shipping

My Factory AM/FM Radio Cassette Player from 98JGC is for sale, for $125 plus shipping. The dealers sold them for $600-$700 before they were discontinued.

The display works- it does not have the burnout problem the older radios had. The cassette player works mostly- but i only use it with an adapter to play an Ipod. I don't use cassettes any more.

The four-way fader pot is a little scratchy. ON a scale of 1-10, with

10 being the most scratchy, mine is a 2-3.

All other controls/functions work.

Reply to
Cappy2112

What is a cassette? Can I load my mp3s on one?

jeff

Cappy2112 wrote:

Reply to
jeff

I have no idea what these so-called "mp3s" are that the young idiots keep going on about. Now if the radio being advertised could play my 8-Track tapes I might be interested in it.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Hey Cappy, That scratchy problem can often be cured by a good cleaning of the post connection. Sometimes they get a little crud in them and start going a little weird.

Kate

My Factory AM/FM Radio Cassette Player from 98JGC is for sale, for $125 plus shipping. The dealers sold them for $600-$700 before they were discontinued.

The display works- it does not have the burnout problem the older radios had. The cassette player works mostly- but i only use it with an adapter to play an Ipod. I don't use cassettes any more.

The four-way fader pot is a little scratchy. ON a scale of 1-10, with

10 being the most scratchy, mine is a 2-3.

All other controls/functions work.

Reply to
Kate

Of course- you can record as many mp3's on a cassette as the cassette will hold.

Reply to
Cappy2112

The post connection? Can the post be removed without breaking it? How did you clean yours?

Reply to
Cappy2112

The post connection? Can the post be removed without breaking it? How did you clean yours?

----- Ok, I should have been more clear, sorry! First - I do NOT have one of these specific units, nor have I ever cleaned the contacts on this specific unit.

I may have assumed too much, and if so I offer my apologies in advance.

However - on several of my older head units (in older vehicles) when either a volume or fader control got so that it was scratchy I'd take it apart, get to where I could access the contacts in behind - whether they rotated or were a slider like an EQ and use a Q-tip and some alcohol to clean it up real well, and even put a whisper of something like WD40 on it to make it work smoother and promote the contact. Always worked for me.

Use some canned air if nothing else while working the control then give it a little WD and blow it out again. The WD will kind of wash the surface but DO NOT drown things with it - less is more.

I don't even know what yours LOOKS like - but - chances are if it has knobs or little caps over rods that poke out of the face they will come off relatively easily. A lot of times the little square/rectangular caps will have a little bitty piece of metal hidden on the back side that you press down with something like a dental tool to release it's grip and then you wiggle it off. It's a friction clip of sorts.

Same goes for a lot of knobs. You will usually be able to figure it out once you give it a really good look.

Reply to
Kate