Need advice re car stereos

I need advice about car stereos and must admit I know noting about them.
My pre-owned Toyota Camry came with an in-dash cassette/receiver which
also controls a cd-changer that sits in the trunk. There is a free pocket just below this receiver. I want to get rid of that changer in the trunk---it is too much hassle, and also keeps getting bumped by luggage, grocery bags, and like.
I am considering following solutions:
(1) An in-dash cd player that would go into the free pocket and work with the existing cassette receiver. It need not and probably should not have its own radio, amplifier, etc. It could be one disc player or a changer.
(2) An entirely new cd-cassette-radio player. This seems wasteful but if it is the best option, or the cheapest or something like that, I would consider it.
I would appreciate advice from those who know car stereos. Brands, as well as the kind of stores I should go to (Chicago area). I don't need MP3, satellite radio etc, just "cd cassette AM FM".
Thanks.
Ajanta wrote:

crutchfield.com has excellent service, and can set you up with a unit that will fit. They will also provide a wiring adapter. If you don't mind something a little garish looking, the Sony 'Explod' AM/FM/Cassette unit is good, and inexpensive. If you want a more 'classic' look, there are other manufacturers with units that should fit. Crutchfield sells them all.
: crutchfield.com has excellent service, and can set you up : with a unit that will fit. They will also provide a wiring : adapter. If you don't mind something a little garish looking, the : Sony 'Explod' AM/FM/Cassette unit is good, and inexpensive. If : you want a more 'classic' look, there are other manufacturers : with units that should fit. Crutchfield sells them all.
If I do mail order, where should I go to get it installed?

Where in the Chicago area are you? Anywhere near Woodfield Mall?
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Most places that sell automotive audio systems like Circuit City and Best Buy also do installations. If you have the installation kit and adapter harness and you were close by, I might even pop it in myself.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Ray O wrote: : Most places that sell automotive audio systems like Circuit City and Best : Buy also do installations. If you have the installation kit and adapter : harness and you were close by, I might even pop it in myself.
Thanks, but I haven't found the right solution yet. My cassette receiver is working fine, there is a free pocket below it. What is bothering me is the location of cd player: in the trunk. Ideally then, I would like a cd player that fits in the free pocket and is controlled by the cassette receiver. I haven't found it.
Lacking that, I'll see if the cd player can be moved from the trunk to somewhere inside the car. It is kind of big, but maybe a spot could be found.
Otherwise, I need to junk both cassette receiver and the cd player and buy a new unit with cassette and cd. The selection however is very limited and prices are high.
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 04:03:44 +0000, Ajanta wrote:

Since I am the only one that drives my cars, under the driver's seat is a good place for 'stuff'... unless you have a power seat. I figure nobody is EVER going to sit in the back seat of my Supra, so I put my 400W 4-channel power amp under the passenger's seat. ;)
: Since I am the only one that drives my cars, under the driver's seat is a : good place for 'stuff'... unless you have a power seat. I figure nobody is : EVER going to sit in the back seat of my Supra, so I put my 400W 4-channel : power amp under the passenger's seat. ;)
Mostly I drive my car but occasionally my SO. Once in a while we do have passengers in the back seat. I'll have to examine the car with a critical eye for the best spot to relocate the changer.

I think your least expensive option will be to relocate the existing CD changer to the interior somewhere. I had a CD changer in the trunk of my '92 Camry and agree that it was an inconvenient location. The 2000 LS 400 has a CD changer located in a dedicated compartment above the glove box, and although it is more convenient than the trunk, it is not located somewhere accessible while driving. The built-in CD changer in our '97 Avalon and '03 Sequoia is the most convenient.
--

Ray O wrote:
: I think your least expensive option will be to relocate the existing CD : changer to the interior somewhere. I had a CD changer in the trunk of my : '92 Camry and agree that it was an inconvenient location. The 2000 LS 400 : has a CD changer located in a dedicated compartment above the glove box, and : although it is more convenient than the trunk, it is not located somewhere : accessible while driving. The built-in CD changer in our '97 Avalon and '03 : Sequoia is the most convenient.
Yes, I'll explore the relocation option first. The problem with the trunk, besides lack of access, is that the various objects keep bumping the player. Besides, it also makes it inconvenient to get to the spare tire and jack.
I am surprised that the selection of components for car audio is so poor. All I needed was a cd player, without radio, amp etc. For home audio, we can get all sorts of things and that's why I thought getting such a component for car audio would be possible. Apparently not.

There does not seem to be many choices for an add-on aftermarket CD player that fits in the pocket under the radio. There seem to be several CD changers that fit in the trunk, but if you want an in-dash installation, you will have to replace the entire system. Crutchfield.com has a pre-paid installation option where they refer you to a local installer. Places like Best Buy or Circuit City do the installations in-house. You can probably get a Tuner/CD player, mounting and wiring adapters, and installation for under $250.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Just go onto EBay, type in the year, make and model and CD player. You will find a lot of these Toyota add-on CD players that fit in place of the storage bin. I did this with a 1998 Corolla that we had. Less than $100 delivered, brand new.
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:53:08 -0600, hoerschy wrote:

10 kajillion of them! Some people were nice enough to include the faceplates.
Note: Matsushita = Panasonic Fuijitsu-Ten = Fujitsu, Ten + Eclipse
The Panasonic units are so-so with really good radio reception. The Fujitsu units have excellent tape and CD sections, so-so radio, and really good sound.
: Just go onto EBay, type in the year, make and model and CD player. You will : find a lot of these Toyota add-on CD players that fit in place of the : storage bin.
Storage bin as in the box between the driver and passenger? Does the unit replace this box or go inside it?

The factory add-on CD players replace the box.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

The storage bin that I am referring to is the bin under the radio. The radio was half Din height, the same height as the storage bin. The radio and storage bin were assembled to the same mounting device. One removes the mounting bin from the mounting device and replaces it with the half Din height CD player and then reinstall the whole unit. It took me less than 15 minutes and I had never even tried this before.

Actually, the box is 1 DIN, the radio is 1 DIN, and together, they are double-DIN.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
: Just go onto EBay, type in the year, make and model and CD player. You will : find a lot of these Toyota add-on CD players that fit in place of the : storage bin. I did this with a 1998 Corolla that we had. Less than $100 : delivered, brand new.
I must be doing something wrong because all I got were ads for used cars (with cd players, of course)! Will try again with some variation.

either a car stereo shop, or a mechanic. You just need somebody capable of pulling the stereo out of the dash and of inserting connectors.