fuel pump for 98 TJ

Hi Group, This is a continuing problem for "98TJ will not start". Turns out it is a fuel pump problem and I have received a new Mopar fuel pump. The new pump looks the same and has exactly the same dimensions as the one I removed.

The problem now is that I cannot install it. It is almost 1cm too long. Compressed all the way it will not let the pump seat on the gasket.

This does not let me put the "lock nut" on. I can get only about 1 thread. I have tried putting the old one back on and have the same problem. The person I bought the jeep from told me a while back that he had removed and reinstalled the pump to make sure it was set for 19 gal. He is not available, so can't ask him how he did it.

The bottom of the tank does not seem to be distorted. I am at a loss for a solution.

I appreciate all the input in finding this problem and now need more help. Any suggestions? Thanks, Al __ Arold "Al" Green

Reply to
Arold "Al" Green

First thought is the float is catching on the reservoir at the bottom of the fuel tank or the pump isn't gettign into the well and catching on the side.

This might help

DougW

Thanks, but that is not it. I have the above URL. I'm wondering if the tank has somehow gotten warped and sprung up shortening the distance from bottom to top. Is this possible? Al __ Arold "Al" Green

Reply to
Arold "Al" Green

I'm not sure about the TJ, but on the MJ I get the same problem if the filter sock on the bottom of the pump is not lined up right. The real problem there is fishing the darned thing out if I get to rambunctous trying to get it in and knock the filter off. On that fender mounted tank I can't see the bottom of the tank without some remarkable gyrations so I found out the hard way. Also, if the filter sock ever comes off you're almost guaranteed to be trying to seat the pump right on top of a forgotten "lost" one.

Reply to
Will Honea

Wouldn't think so. It would be quite visible. 1cm sure sounds like the baffle is in the way. Can you reach/see down into the tank to find what it might be running up against?

Never done a fuel pump myself.

Worst case, call a local dealer and ask if you can bother a mechanic. They are usually willing to share a clue or two.

good luck

Reply to
DougW

They have to go in on a certain angle so the float clears everything. Do you remember which way the tubes out the top were pointing? It might only be a twitch to either side of the way you are trying to get it in, but the float usually goes crooked I think it is. It doesn't go right across or front to back.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > Hi Group,
Reply to
Mike Romain

Anything is possible. Maybe try to find a similar vehicle and see if the tank's bottom on it is any different from yours?

IMHO, it would be unlikely that the tank is deformed, but it is possible. Some fuel pumps, coupled with a tank that has a compromised venting system, are capable of pernamently deforming the tank. But... This is very unusual, and you would have many warnings that this was happening, with codes set for the fuel tank vent system, and drivablity issues. I don't see you mentioning either at this stage.

Another thing to do is to carefully examine the tank through the hole. See what you see, and if anything is out of place.

Reply to
PeterD

I removed the Kilby skid plate and the tank relaxed so the fuel pump now fits. Should have done that in the first place. Just lazy I guess. Anyway problem solved. Thanks for all your replies. Al __ Arold "Al" Green

Reply to
Arold "Al" Green

Glad you got it sorted out. That does make me wonder if the skid plate puts force on the pump. :/ Is the skid plate bent at all?

Reply to
DougW

The skid plate is not bent. I think the straps holding it in place were way too tight though.

BTW: I had good luck and good prices getting parts from chryslerpartscenter.com 800-519-5279 Al __ Arold "Al" Green

Reply to
Arold "Al" Green

Thanks for the link. Can always use another place with good refrences.

Reply to
DougW

The tank on my YJ warped, as you suspected. It just sunk right down, making it nearly impossible for me to get the sending unit in, but it did go in.

Reply to
GGinn