General Comment

AMC didn't sell enough cars, to be able to say that their ignition module was problematic or not. Chrysler modules would fail, as does everything else on a vehicle, but only because Chrysler vehicles were capable of operating long enough, for components to wear out. I am of course excluding the vehicles, that left the factory with engine mount bolts missing, rod caps improperly torqued, ring gaps still aligned, transmission cooling line fittings not drilled all the way through, etc. (These are all from memory.) Sometimes, but not always, it would be caught in "Dealer Prep."

One thing they did, that I never understood, was about the middle of 1978, when they shortened the outboard end of the ignition rotor by about 1/16". Maybe the change had something to do with FCC regulations, or making the rotors cheaper. The guys in the Dodge dealer service bays were all suspicious of this change. A number of customer vehicles, with nothing else to explain a poor performance complaint, left the garage with an old style rotor installed.

Usually if the ignition module is bad, it is pretty easy to figure out. Everything else is working, but there is no spark. If this vehicle kept coming back for the same complaint, the mechanics failed to diagnose the real cause, choosing instead to throw parts at it. The guys at the Dodge dealer got pretty good at diagnosis, again because Chrysler sold enough vehicles for them to get the practice they needed.

Earle

maintenance so

Reply to
Earle Horton

I had an ignition control module go on my old 87 YJ. That was an AMC part, or at least that Jeep was still AMC. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

It was probably a Renault part.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

AMC's ignition module -- at least for the 1976-1982 I-6 -- was an off-the-shelf Ford part.

Earle Hort> AMC didn't sell enough cars, to be able to say that their ignition module

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Quite so.

My reply to Bill was on his use of a SRT8 picture as representative of all new Grand Cherokees.

Upon researching that particular model it became apparent that it was specifically NOT intended to be capable of any serious (legitimate) SUV use.... as "factory poser" so to say.

Reply to
billy ray

I don't know about Ford parts, but with respect to the Chrysler electronic ignition, there was some kind of gizmo that the dealers had, that you plugged into it, and it would tell you if it was good or not. I imagine that Ford had the same. I never looked at a schematic, but the Chrysler one was obviously nothing more than an amplifier, that allowed a more accurate but low current magnetic pickup to be used in place of the points and condenser that it replaced. Maybe you would call it an impulse generator instead, or an integrator. You could make one with parts from Radio Shack, if you wanted, but the convenience of parts sealed in tar, hopefully resistant to environmental damage, and not really all that expensive kept people from developing sufficient interest. Plenty of after market replacements are available too.

With respect to "tuning up" the system, that was little more than replacing parts and making sure that the reluctor air gap hadn't changed much.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Are you absolutely sure that "outrunning da man" while "'takin' care of bizness" is not legitimate SUV use? I know plenty who would disagree with you. This vehicle is just adapted to different terrain, that's all. In other surroundings you would want a lift, big tires, and a tail light cut-off switch. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If that was your intended use you would get the Heflin version. Unfortunately it has only the 5.7 liter engine.

I suppose you could send your SRT8 to Hess and Eisenhart for conversion.

Reply to
billy ray

LOL - I knew I saved this dead 1987 I-6 ICM for something and lo and behold this conversation is it. Now I can finally throw it out (unless someone has value for it as a museum piece?).

I am looking at it right now. It is indeed a Motorcraft part. "Duraspark Ignition - tested tough". It is six wires that disappear into an orange polymer filled pot.

I never did any diagnostics on it, just swapped out the $65 part on a friend's recommendation and it cured my problems like magic. It had failed at about 140K miles.

Now I can tell the wife 'see - I knew I saved it for a reason...' Tomes

Reply to
Tomes