haven't changed spark plugs in 4.5 years

but it's only been about 20k miles. I have a dakota 97 truck with about 87k miles on it. Do I need to change the plugs? I don't see any "symptoms", but i'm not sure what to look for.

I'm just trying to figure out what maintanance i need to do.

I'm thinking of changing the coolant fluid, because it's been ALMOST 4 YEARS. But it's been only 16k miles. Here's the thing though: About

8 months ago (only 3000 miles ago) I went to a dodge dealer (where i got most of my work done) who TESTED the fluid and said it's fine (he said "good down to 0 degrees or something like that), and i shouldn't bother changing it, even though it was about 3.5 years at the time. So i didn't change it...not sure if i shouldn've taken their word for it (and i forgot to ask them about its protection against HEAT, not just cold).

And i'm not sure when to get it replaced, vs. "flushed". (i think it's always been just replaced).

Other than that, based on my manual, i don't seem to need any other maintanence thanks.

Reply to
mac

That long I think I might give them a light spray the night before

I figure every three years. A lot of aluminum in these engines.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

If it was mine I'd put a set of plugs in it and if the wires, cap and rotor were still original they would be changed too. I'd rather work on it when I wanted to instead of when I have to..

Coolant should be done on a time basis instead of milage. We're more concerded about the corrosion additives than the freezing point. If you're doing it yourself the drain and fill method is ok. The flush is better just cause it gets just about all the old coolant out. It just depends on if you want to do it yourself or pay to have it done.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

What??

I think my manual says every 2 years regardless of mileage.

Reply to
mac

I think we need to get Snojob back in here and have him re-address the coolant issue once again. It appears that mac missed it!

Reply to
azwiley1

Shoot! Only 20K miles? Why them there plugs are just as good as new. Yer wastin' yer money to replace 'em if'n you ask me.... why I've got an ol' '38 Chevy out leaning up against the barn and I have never replaced the plugs. The people who tell you to replace 'em every 30K miles are just part of the conspiracy by Detroit to get yer money. Some people will tell ya' to replace 'em every once in while, but they just don't unnerstand the physics behind spark plugs.

I wouldn't worry none about that there coolant neither. Prestone and them there boys at Durmler Chrysler are in cahoots I tell ya'! They just wanna' lighten' yer wallet is all. Just take a look at the radiator in my ol' Chevy (see above) why that there coolant is just as purty green as the day it rolled off the assembly line. Just add straight antifreeze (don't water it down none, I tell ya') and you'll be ready to go come winter.

Ya' see Mac, this car maintenance bizness is all about unnerstandin' physics and chemustry... 'course I reckon none of y'all would unnerstand about that stuff.

...well, gotta go... some folks on a 'nuther noosegroup need some advice on nukular physics...

ta ta

Frosty

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Sounds like it's time to change the coolant (flush???, or just replace???...about $50 difference in price) . I also should have mentioned: Cap wires and rotor were changed once before (7.5 years ago...63000 miles ago). I guess I should have asked....Is it time to replace those too???

Brake fluid, trans fluid....all done recently (relatively!!).

Denny wrote:

Reply to
mac

For $50 difference, I'd just go with the drain and fill.

I would but I tend to keep maint items changed a little sooner than they have to be.

Not the change the subject but I finially checked out you pics of the house. Looks awesome! I bet you all just can't wait...

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Thanks. Because I'm starting to look for new repair shops (not worth using Dodge dealers anymore), I just went to a shop ("shell") that looks good (and with good ratings from "consumer checkbook", and in a preferred location) and asked them a few questions. The manager (who also says he was a tech for a long time) told me I need to find out what kind of coolant was put in there last time (extended life vs. "regular") because that's the kind that should be put in next time--he said it's bad to mix the 2, even if he flushes the old out). Does that make sense? So what did the dodge shop put in there last time...anyone know? My dodge dealer closed shop---supposedly moved about 50 miles away. But there is another dodge dealer in this area I could ask (assuming all dodge shops use the same thing).

Reply to
mac

You can tell by the color, green for reg and orange for 10/100

(extended life vs.

It shouldn't make a difference as long as all the old stuff gets flushed.

So what did the dodge shop put in there last

Never assume.....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

That's the first thing I asked him, when he said i should find out what was already in there (even though it's been about 3.5 years). I said, Can you tell by looking at what's in there now? He said no. He's the one who told me about the green vs. orange color (for NEW fluid), but.....I guess it doesn't work for old fluid.....

So "assuming" iwill be the only alternative i know of. I plan to see what my manual says, and then assume that the dodge dealer followed what the manuals says....that's the best guess. But I did call a dodge service guy, and of course he said "no idea what they put in 3.5 years ago" (what else can they say). But he said he's pretty sure it was GREEN (regular)....he also said that the extended-life type of fluid wasn't even available 3.5 years ago. He also said to look at the cap (or place where you put the fluid in) in the engine....it might way what kind to use...so assume that what was used. ???? But as you said, it shouldn't matter if you mix the 2 as long as it's flushed....though this new mechanic says it still shouldn't be done.

Denny wrote:

Reply to
mac