Going to 'Glass

Morning all~

I have a 94 YJ that has seen better days. Everything runs great, but now the rust has started bubbling through, thanks to living in the salt belt. I want to start converting it over to fiberglass, but there seems to be a few different options in the way they all fit together- I've seen a tub with the front fenders all molded in, and I've seen separate peices for that whole area. (hope I'm explaining that well... it's pretty early over here) Question is, what's the way to go here- where should I start first? I'm thinking I can start with the doors or tailgate because it might be the easiest before I tackle the whole tub. I can't afford to do it all at once and am most likely looking at a shop doing the tub to save me the hassle that I think it'll be, plus I don't have nearly enough of the tools anyway. I'm budgeting to have everything complete in about 2 years.

Also, I have the 'swoosh' side decals that spread out over the whole side- after they paint the new 'glass, can they salvage the decals? I'm not that crazy about them but at least they add a little originality to the Jeep... as if it being teal isn't enough hehe. I would rather try to keep them, though, if possible.

Oh- any disadvantages to coverting to 'glass?

thanks, coop

Reply to
cooper

I don't really understand what you are asking....

You want to do a 'glass conversion one piece at a time?

I don't think that is possible.

The tub is the big ticket item and no two 'glass tubs are exactly the same.

This means you need to start with the tub and make everything else fit to the tub. Tubs can be had with or without tailgates. I went without for structural reasons and am glad because I have rolled her over with almost no damage.

The front can be left steel or you can buy 'glass fenders and nose and hood or use the steel hood or mix and match anyway you want to.

The windshield frame must be steel if you ever plan to use a soft top. A 'glass frame is only good for topless or hard top use, it will pull apart with a soft top.

I went with a one piece front clip and just love it! I use the stock hinges and it just lifts up out of the way. It is nice to just sit on a tire to change plugs or have everything wide open so I can do a grease job from the top.

Your decals are garbage.

I still haven't bothered to paint mine. It came in white gel coat and looks pretty good.

There is a gent near Kingston Ontario that makes sweet 'glass bodies.

Mike

co>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for all that great info Mike! Lots of things there I never thought of...

Yeah, that's what I was asking. I've been looking at Quadratec just to get an idea of where I want to go with it, but didn't figure I actually had to start with the tub first, but that makes a whole lotta sense. Good thing I passed on a few items I've seen on EBay...

What do you mean by "no two tubs are the same"?

Can you give me more information on the gentleman in Kingston? That'd be ideal... I'm in Windsor and it'd be nice to get something 'local'.

coop

Reply to
cooper

There is always some fine tuning or trimming needed on a 'glass tub or 'glass parts and I have heard of some of the USA made ones with real issues fitting stock steel doors and hard tops...

I got lucky as far as my tub went, everything fit perfect. 'Just'. The floor is thicker than stock so the heater was 'fun' and the roll bar is 'just' low enough to fit the hard top on. Some have to have the roll bar cut down to fit.

My front clip needed to be trimmed where it mates up with the tub to sit square. No real trouble with that, I am good with a 'dremil' tool and cut off blades. My 'dremil' tool actually got a 'lot' of use. I cut out all the holes and grill slots, etc with it. Brian Quinn is the guy in Kingston and makes nice parts, my chrome Laredo grill overlay even fit right on.

I believe his number is 613-379-1088. Feel free to tell him I sent you from RAMJ+W.

Mike

co>

Reply to
Mike Romain