Good lube for door hinges?

What's good to use to lube door hinges? My XJ driver's side door hinges are squeaking noticeably. Is there some sort of zerk fitting you're supposed to install?

Reply to
Doug

Doug did pass the time by typing:

no zerks, I just use a good silicon spray lube.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

That white lithium spray in the can gets my vote.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

I vote for motor oil too. It is what is in my Wrangler's Owner Manual. It is unreasonable to expect, that a part this exposed, will hold lubricant for a long time. If you put grease here, it will just gum up, dry out, and hold dirt. Then you will have an abrasive paste in your door hinges.

If you want to go high tech, they have lots of stuff in the bicycle shop now. There are tiny little bottles of stuff, that looks just like motor oil, but it has "Teflon particles", "friction modifiers" or whatever in it. If you want to pay $5.95 for 4 oz. of motor oil, go here

and select "Lubricant" from the "Category" menu.There is even some stuff recommended for "muddy off-road conditions". Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:40:21 -0700, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by Jerry Bransford :

I just use 10W30 twice a year.

BTW, WD-40 isn't intended as a lubricant; it's a moisture displacent. It works great for (as you pointed out) flushing out contaminated lubricant/dirt/water from *unsealed* joints such as hinges prior to relubricating.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

I used white lithium grease and now the spring on the top hing scoots back and forth about 1/16th of an inch and makes a horrible cracking noise.

Reply to
Marc