got an XJ too must be something in the water

Must be something in the water; or it's the crazy amounts of 88 to mid

90's XJ's that are hitting the used market for dirt cheap.

Got mine for a grand, it's a 92 white US fish and Wildlife service 2 door, with 147k. I got it intending to use it as a temporary driver for my wife until she finds something she likes better.

At which point of course I get it (and jack it up a couple inches put

31's on it paint it and, well you know: keep adding things too it and "fixing it" until I go broke or I find another jeep project... maybe an MJ or a CJ5.. Or if I could find one a CJ10.

Runs strong, shifts smooth (auto) and has a stack of maintainance records thicker than my thumb showing the reason why it's still stong and smooth (4000 mile oil change was the longest interval and 2 transmission fluid changes), after I wet sanded it with 1500 grit the stock paint looks nearly new minus a few small stone chips.

Only problem is after cleaning it up I don't think I'm going to get it in a few month she even likes the boring white paint now that it no longer has that 13 years without a wax look.

The only mechanical problem is it doesn't want to stay in 4L.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Polishing compound and a power buffer

Adjust the shifter: ADJUSTMENTS - SHIFT LINKAGE

(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position.

(2) Raise vehicle.

(3) Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion (Fig.

88).

(4) Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion.

Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary.

(5) Verify that transfer case range lever is fully

engaged in 4L position.

(6) Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt.

(7) Lower vehicle.

Reply to
billy ray

My book says to use a drill bit as a 1/8" shim between the shift lever and the end to line up the shifter correctly.

I would be checking the condition of the engine and transmission mounts first. If one of those is bad, the shifter can be off.

The drivers side mount seems to be the weak one. Just replaced it in one XJ and the 'new' XJ comes with the same mount busted... Grr...

Mike

Mike Romain

I've heard about the 1/8" measurement but that excerpt is directly from the XJ FSM.

in

Reply to
billy ray