76 CJ5

I'm looking at a 76 CJ5 for real cheap. It's got the AMC 304. It has some new parts and apparently runs well. The carb has been 'upgraded' to a holley

2bbl. It will need a starter, exhaust, and a wiring harness. The wiring harness is the big ? for me, since I don't know how bad it is.

How can I tell if the t-case is a D300, 20, or 18? Did all v-8 CJ's get the AMC20?. I know the AMC 304 sucks as far as power/performance, but is it pretty reliable? How user serviceable is it?

My previous Jeeps were:

89 YJ, SOA on 33's. 4cyl, 5spd (rip) 99 TJ, stock on 31's. 6cyl, 5spd(rip) 89 XJ 2" bb on 30's 6cyl, 5spd(mom's daily driver now!) 91 XJ 3.5" RE on 31's, 6cyl AT(rip)

I'm on the hunt for a new Jeep, and am looking at CJ's, YJ's and XJ's. I like the CJ's, especially the t-case and rear.

I really don't know a lot about CJs, as they are a much different animal than YJ-XJ-ZJ-TJ-MJ.

I like XJ's because they are comfortable, cheap, and pretty tough. I also know a decent amount about 'em.

YJ's are the same as XJ's for my likes, except they are not cheap.

Am I getting in over my head here with an old CJ?

Anyone know anyone selling an old XJ-YJ-CJ?

Any help would be great.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

CJ's are pretty basic vehicles that are easy to fix. You can get pre-made harness for them from several companies and the cheap Haynes manual has excellent wiring diagrams for them. They use a GM harness for the lights. I changed most of the sockets and connections on mine by soldering new ones in from a full sized GM van harness some one gave me.

They are a lot of fun, they turn on a dime and go like a scalded cat. The power to weight ratio is pretty good on that small CJ5 - V8 combo, but even the 6 is a powerhouse.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike,

Thanks for the advice.

What is the difference between a CJ5 and a CJ7? I would be planning a Spring-over and 35's if I bought that CJ. Can the AMC20 and the CJ D30 handle 35's? (Locked rear, open front). Is the front passenger side drop? Can the D300, D20, and D18 t-cases all be clocked to handle driver's side drop?

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

The CJ5 is shorter for starts. They were built tough with a passenger side driveshaft setup. Most of the old gear t-cases can be clocked, but why? Putting Yuppie Jeep parts into a CJ doesn't really work, especially a 5.

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

A friend has a set of waggy d44's for sale is why I ask. How many gears are in the manual? How can I identify the T case and rear?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

There was nothing wrong with the AMC 304 that wasn't because of the EPA. The 'huge' drop in horsepower was because of the change in the way they measured it. 150 'new' horsepower was about the same as 180-190 'old' horsepower and the engine is capable of substantial upgrades.

The 304 used from '72-'78 has the best performance of all the 304s used in the CJ. .

AMC 304 V8 Bore x Stroke 3.75" x 3.44" Displacement 304(4.98L) Compression Ratio 8.4:1 Horsepower (net) 150@4200 Torque (net) 245@2500 Main Bearings 5 Valve Configuration OHV Fuel 2bbl

CJ model Information:

Final AMC (Long 83 inch wheel base) 1976 through 1983 Identifying features include: a.. Longer hood and front fenders to accommodate the AMC I-6 engines b.. Engine(s) AMC 232 CID or 258 CID I-6, AMC 304 V-8 c.. New stronger, wider frame with longer springs for softer ride d.. Fuel tank and fuel-fill located in rear of the tub e.. Wide windshield frame with built-in door hinges fold-down knobs with wipers mounted on bottom and motor mounted on the inside f.. New floorboard and changed seating bracket design g.. Saginaw steering box (power steering optional) h.. Dana Model 20, after 1979, Dana Model 300 transfer case i.. Dana Model 30 front axle j.. AMC Model 20 2 piece rear axle identified by it's "WWI Round Helmet" style differential cover k.. Three speed transmission T-150, T-18 Four speed transmission optional l.. Laredo and Renegade models had the tailgate deleted, spare tire mounted on rear, models with a tailgate had a swing away tire carrier m.. Levi and Golden Eagle trim levels available n.. Silver Anniversary edition released for 79 only

Reply to
billy ray

Thanks, Billy. So the 76 will have the D20 transfer case? How much better is the D300 over the D20?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

It's a D300 in 1976.

The AMC20 is the rear end, and it could be an AMC20 or a Dana 44 in that truck.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Check will Bill Hughes.... he will have links to all the specific information.

Reply to
billy ray

I think that '76 was the first year of the D300 Tcase. It should have the AMC20 as the std rear end, or the D44 as the optional upgrade -- where upgrade is debatable. There are many that will suggest that the AMC20 is as strong as the D44 after a few simple mods are applied.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Cool on the D300. He's asking $1500 for this Jeep, but I still need to take a look at it. How hard is it to change out the wiring harness with a new one from painless?

I have heard that if the AMC20's 2-piece shafts are not properly re-installed after removal, they are weak. How does this happen? What is generally the cost of a 1-piece axle conversion? Are the shafts 31 spline? Are any lunchbox lockers availible for the 20?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I have not done a Painless Wire Harness, but those that have and reported back here said it was easy.

The one-piece axles from either Superior Gear or Moser are much better than the two piece axles.

I have a full Detroit locker in my AMC20, and a EZLocker in my D30 in the front.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff,

Are you running the stock two-pieces axles or have you upgraded to one piece axles? Did you get standard axles or chrome-moly?

Does the D300 have a yoke output, flanged output, or splined (slip-yoke) output? (front and rear)

Does the AMC304 use electronic ignition?

Is a 76 CJ5 narrow track? What does narrow track even mean? Is the entire Jeep actually narrower than a YJ?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks, Bill. Any other information?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I cut and pasted the chart.

The earlier 304s put out 210 hp (similar to all the other mfgrs 300 inch engines). The new rating system resulted in a change of generally about

20-25%.

Yes the other changes you mention made up the other 20-30 HP.

That same block casting was used for all AMC V-8s so you can safely bore the block a LONG way.....

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I have the Superior Gear one-piece axles. They replace Moser one-piece axles that came with ball bearings. The Superior Gear uses tapered roller bearings that are rated thousands of pounds higher. In interest of full and fair reporting, Moser axles now use the same bearings as Superior Gear axles. (Well, the bearings may differ, but they are roller bearings, not ball bearings.)

Fixed yoke, front and rear. The drive shafts have slip joints in them.

Not sure, but I doubt it. I have the 258 with fuel injection.

No, not the entire Jeep, just the axles. Yes, it's a narrow track. Actually, there are two tracks of CJ, both of which are narrower than the YJ. You need to get YJ out of your mind or you're gonna go crazy trying to make the comparisons all of the time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If it doesn't have electronic ignition it's easy enough to add, both of my Studebakers have electronic ignition and it's a cinch that wasn't installed in South Bend in 1959!

Jeff,

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt