Water in gas

I have a '96 Blazer with water in the tank. My jet ski had water in the gas tank and I drained it into a gas can intending to dispose of it properly. Before I could drain it one of my kids put it into his Blazer. I'm not sure how much water was in the gas but I suspect that there was a significant amount.

My question is this - if I fill the tank with "good" gas and drive it, will the water slush around in the tank and get sucked in to the carbs and be expelled? Or, will the water settle to the bottom of the tank and just accumulate until the vehicle stalls or fails to start? (yes, I know the best solution is to drain the tank, but the Blazer is not at my location right now.)

Thanks.

Reply to
Chuck Jurgens

Mike Walsh

They sell stuff called gas line antifreeze or dry gas which takes car of it so it will burn through.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Water rolls around on the bottom of the tank. The fuel pump will suck it up and it should end up in your fuel filter if it's not too much. Take your fuel filter off and drain or replace it often for a while. Put a can of methanol or gas dryer in the tank. So you didn't say how much water we're talking about.

Reply to
Broderick Crawford

======= =======

what Mike & Mike stated....... ditto.......use "Dry Gas" additive.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Actually, methanol (Dry Gas, maybe) is a pretty marginal additive. It will work for minor contamination.

Better is isopropanol, butanol blends, etc., with surfactants.

Avoid the cheap blends. If you really have water contamination, you need major help.

If you have lot of water in the tank, chemicals WONT cure it. You will have to drain the tank, refill with clean gas, add the best additives, and see what happens.

I have been there, done that, and have researched it on the laboratory basis.

Reply to
hls

======== ========

yeah......there's always that too.......

~:~ mm ~takes a toke....defers to the expert on the topic~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The water will settle out because it does not mix with gasoline. Adding some dry gas (methanol) will help it mix in, though.

The bad news is that the water probably contains all kinds of crap as well. Which means even if you DO manage to burn all that gas up, you will want to change your fuel filter immediately afterward. Or make your kid change the fuel filter.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Water, methanol (known as a "co-solvent") and gasoline form a three-way emulsion. That is why methanol (dry gas) can be used to purge a fuel tank of a limited amount of water, thus allowing a car with water contaminated fuel to run -- albeit roughly -- until the water is gone. Without the methanol, or a similar co-solvent from the alcohol family, the car will die whenever a slug of pure water comes through the fuel line.

Anybody who doubts the properties of methanol, gasoline and water can pour the above substances into a mason jar and see for himself. Or ask a chemist.

Don

Don

Scotch on the Rocks? ''shaken, not stirred''. If you have a glass of water and pour some alcohol into the water, the water level will barely rise up at all. Another old ''trick'' when there is water in the gas is to pour a bottle of Whiskey into the gas.Seems like a waste of good Whiskey to me.I bet a bottle of Everclear would ''cut'' that water real good. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

How about buying a length of hose and syphine all the fuel out let it sit till fuel and water seperate then syphine all the good gas out of the can and dump it back in.

Pete

Reply to
conan